Subject: The Bryde's Whale

Bob Cooper (bcoop@neaq.org)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:21:29 -0500

>Dear Bob,
>            I was wondering if you could tell me a couple of interesting facts
>that the Bryde's Whale has or does and other things that only the Bryde's
>Whale has that no other whale has or does. Thank you.

Bryde's whale is very similar to a Sei whale, and apparently difficult to
tell apart at sea but, if you get a close look the Bryde's head as it comes
up for air you'll notice that it has auxillary ridges in front of the
blowhole: one main ridge in the center and one on each side. It tends to be
a tropical whale and is sometimes called "Tropical whale".

More places to look:
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/classification.html

http://www.mtn.co.za/whaleroute/species-brydes.html

Sources:
The Natural History of Whales & dolphins

If you have more questions feel free to drop us a line.

Bob Cooper