Subject: Finding Blue Whales

Bob Cooper (bcoop@neaq.org)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:32:33 -0500

>If I wanted to see a blue whale where would I go? I mean, yes- the ocean is a
>good start but if I am on a tight budget how would I accomplish this? Drive to
>the St. Lawrence sound? Then what? It's one of those things I have to do in my
>lifetime. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve Cullison

Steve,
	The Gulf of St Lawrence in the spring and summer reportedly is the
home for approx 200 blue whales. If your on a tight budget, and your in
that area, I think you would have a reasonable chance seeing them there
with reputable whale watching guides.
http://whale.simmons.edu/whalenet-stuff/mics.html
Not sure about this one.
http://www.fjord-best.com/baleines/

If your out by Monterey Bay California, several of the whale watching folks
out there suggest that they see them there daily during spring - fall.
http://www.webcitypress.com/chriswhale/
http://www.montereybaywhalewatch.com/
There also seems to be a fair amount of roadside whale watching along the
coast as well.
http://www.presys.com/dt/activities/whale.html
http://www.sojourner2000.com/wildlife/index.htm

Blue whales are still rare so your chances for random sitings are slim.
Contacting guides in the area in which you intend to go is advisable. I
would even go so far as to ask what their "success" is for that whale type.

Good luck in your quest,
Bob Cooper