Subject: marine scholarships

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Wed, 03 Mar 1999 11:01:26 +0100

>Dear Mr. Roman,
>
>	I am a student at Warwick High School in Virginia and I am currently
>interested in majoring in marine biology.  I need some information on
>scholarships that I could recieve to help me along with college.  Also I
>wonder if you know of any institutes that could help me with summer
>internships.  I need all the help I can get.  If you could, please, find
>this information for me.
>
>Thank you,
>Marie Ward

Dear Marie:

As far as I know, the best place to start looking for scholarships is at
the Financial Aid office of the university you decide to attend.  I did,
however, give a quick search for scholarships in marine biology, and came
up with one at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, which may
not be too far from where you live:

The Charles and Kay Bolles Marine Biology Scholarship is awarded annually
to a marine biology major. The scholarship will be awarded with merit as a
first consideration and need as a secondary consideration. Contact the
chairperson
of the Department of Biological Sciences concerning application process.

Their web site (for financial aid) is

http://www.uncwil.edu/catalogue/Fin_aid.htm

You'll have to be a student there before you apply.

As far as summer internships, I think you'll have the best chance of
finding one through whatever university you decide to attend.  But if you
are looking for an internship before college, you might try your local
university or contact a nearby chapter of a nonprofit organization and see
if they need any help.

Hope this was some assistance.

Good luck!

Joe