Subject: sharks in freshwater

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 11:00:19 +0100

>Hello,
>
>How long can a shark live in fresh water?  Year ago it was reported that
>a small shark was caught in the Ohio river at Cincinnati. I suppose that
>it was either transported there or it made its way there from the Gulf
>coast.  The shark was almost dead when it was caught.
>
>Bob Turner

Dear Bob:

Sorry, my specialty is whales, not sharks.  But I did find a site for you
on the Internet that might be helpful:

http://www.elasmo.org/links.htm

Maintained by researchers of elasmobranchs (sharks, skates and rays), this
site has many helpful links, and at the bottom of the page there's an
address for a discussion group.  One of the shark biologists in that group
might be able to help you with your question.

Good luck,

Joe

Joseph Roman
University of Florida