Subject: whale diets

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 12:26:37 +0100

>Hello, I am doing a report for school, and I have 2 questions that I am having
>trouble finding the answer for:
>    1. What type of whale eats the most food? and
>    2. Is there a comparison between how much a whale eats, and how big he is?
>
>		Thank you
>		Timothy Shanahan Jr.

Hi Timothy:

Most scientists would agree that the blue whale, the largest whale in the
oceans, must eat the most food to attain its enormous size (100 feet, and
130 tons).  However, large animals eat less food in proportion to their
body weight than do small animals.  In other words, when comparing body
size, a dolphin must eat more relative to its body weight than a blue whale
does.

But when we compare the total intake of food, a large whale eats more than
a small one.

Good luck with your report.

Best,

Joe