Subject: whales off the coast of Florida in March

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 12:29:08 +0100

>Hello,
>
>I have a question as to whether there are any whales migrating off the
>coast of Florida during the month of March. If so, which species are we
>likely to find?
>
>Many thanks
>Janice Cudlip

Dear Janice:

There are only two species of large whale that I've seen off the northeast
coast of Florida in March--though both of them are rare at this time of
year.  The northern right whale has its calving ground between Cape
Canaveral and Savannah, Georgia, but the whales usually begin heading north
by the end of February.  If you were very lucky, you might see a mother and
calf--although this year researchers have had very few sightings.

Upon occasion, humpbacks also show up along the coast, though sightings
aren't very common off Florida for this species, either.

Of course, if you like bottlenose dolphins, March is a great time to see
them.  I went for a walk along Amelia Island in northeast Florida two weeks
ago and saw a group of about 30 dolphins, breaching and feeding about 50
yards offshore.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Joe