Subject: mentors

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 09:35:30 +0100

>Hello,
>My name is Lindsey Nevatt.  I'm a tenth grader at Guilderland High School in
>Guilderland, New York (It's located about 5 minutes outside of Albany).  I
>have to do a research project for credit on the New York State Biology Regents
>exam.  Since I have an interest in becoming a marine biologist, I wanted to do
>research in that field.  In order to complete this project, I must find a
>mentor that is educated in this field and meet with them.  I will be in the
>Venice, Florida area in April.  I would appreciate it if you could give me any
>information as to how I would go about getting in touch with a mentor in or
>around that area.  I would appreciate hearing back from someone as soon as
>possible, even if you are unable to give me any recommendations.
>
>Thank you for your assistance.
>
>Lindsey Nevatt

Dear Lindsey:

Unfortunately I don't have any information specific to the Venice area, but
I can recommend two sources for finding possible mentors and volunteer
positions.  WhaleNet has a link for careers and educational resources at

http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/ed_resources.html

I also find the MARMAM server to be helpful.  You'll get a few E-mail
messages a day, with news on marine mammals and work being done i n the
field, including some volunteer research positions.

saying: subscribe marmam Yourfirstname Yourlastname

Your best bet might to contact someone whose interests align with yours.

Good luck.

Joe

Joseph Roman
University of Florida