Subject: whale watching

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 10:00:15 +0100

>Hello,
>
>I see you are the "Ask the Scientist" of the week for the whale page.  I
>see that many of the questions on the page are about whale watching times.
>Maybe it would be efficient for the web page to have a US or world map and
>include the best times for whale watching in the different regions of the
>country/world.
>
>I am actually curious about whale watching near my part of the Pacific
>Coast - between San Francisco and Santa Cruz.  When is the best time to
>view whales up here?  I assume that the season is short for us since we
>are most apt to catch a migration of whales, is this correct?  Is it worth
>going on a trip in early April?
>
>Thank you very much,
>Raphael Thomadsen

Dear Raphael:

I think a whale-watching site with a US map on WhaleNet would be a great
idea; I'll pass it on to the boss.

I checked out the website for Point Reyes National Seashore (just north of
San Francisco).  They listed Gray whale migration as occurring from
December through May (though this year I've heard migration has been
delayed).  You can check out their website, which will tell you when other
marine mammal events might be seen from their beautiful park:

http://www.nps.gov/pore/visit.htm

Patricia Corrigan has a book on whale watching in the US, "Where the Whales
Are" (Globe Pequot Press 1991).

Hope this helps.

Happy whale spotting.

Joe