Subject: blue whale skeleton

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 21:11:39 +0100

>my son needs to fine picture of a blue whale skeleton i took him to the
>library and no luck or on the web do you know a book with one in it
>

>                                                              thank you
>                                                               mike tyszko

Dear Mike:

I looked through my sources here, and couldn't find any complete skeletons.
"The Blue Whale" by George L. Small (Columbia University Press 1971) has a
photo of the lower jawbone and of the model in the American Museum of
Natural History.  I know the New Bedford Whaling Museum in Massachusetts
has blue whale bones on display, but I'm not sure if they're assembled to
form a full skeleton--or how you can find a photo of it.  Their website is:

http://www.whalingmuseum.org/

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Did you try a search on WhaleNet?  You
can use their search engine at

http://whale.wheelock.edu/howtofind.html

Good luck,

Joe