Subject: on the job with a marine biologist

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 10:53:17 +0100

>     Dear Joe- My name is Jennifer Fischer.  I am 10 years old and when  I
>grow up I want to be a marine biologist.  I want to know what you  job is
>like and what kinds of things you do.  Please try to write  back to me.
>                                   Thank You,
>                                 Jennifer Fischer         Here is my
>E-mail address-    animallvr788@prodigy.net

Dear Jennifer:

Well, that's a big question!  Of course, every marine biologist has a
different story to tell.  I started out studying right whales when I was
living in Boston.  The work can be fun, especially when you're out on the
ocean.  We generally spend about twelve hours at sea when the weather is
good, looking for spouts or tails.  When we spot a whale, we take pictures
(so we can identify them later) and a small piece of skin (so we can look
at the relationships among the whales).  Following whales is the fun part!

But the real work begins when we get back to the office.  That's where we
look at all the pictures, try to figure out if we've seen the whale before,
and enter a lot of data on the computer.  Most marine biologists have these
two lives--a few months on the ocean then a lot of time in the office or
the lab.

If you would like to see what I did this winter, you can go to our web site at

http://www.rightwhale.noaa.gov/

You can find pictures of the whales and biologists there.

Good luck studying biology!

Joe

Joseph Roman
University of Florida