Subject: Caribbean mother-calf pair

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 10:54:04 +0100

>     Hello,   I currently live on a small island in the  Caribbean called
>Saba, it is near Sint Maarten, and Sint Brats.  I spotted  a whale and
>calf  2 weeks ago on the Atlantic side of the island.  I  am curious what
>type of whale it is, where it is migrating to, and how much  longer should
>I be able to see them?  Thank you for your time.   Teri Folkens

Dear Teri:

I looked your island up in the atlas.  It seems like you live in a
beautiful place!

About the mother and calf you saw, I can't be certain, but my best guess is
that they were probably humpback whales.  Humpbacks calve and nurse from
January through March in the Caribbean, and they're usually spotted by
their bushy spout.  If they were humpbacks, the mother-calf pair is
probably headed north by now, perhaps to the Gulf of Maine or even Iceland.

Happy whale watching!

Joe

Joseph Roman
University of Florida