Subject: cloning whales

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:53:36 +0100

>Well, I know TONS of things about whales and dolphins, and am a member of:
>The Center For Marine Conservation, Whale Adoption Project,
>and many more. I am studying to be a Marine Bioligist, and have sent many
>letters to the president and stuff about keepin the nets off dolphins. HERE IS
>MY QUESTION:
>
>Do U think cloning some endangered cetateans, such as right whales, is a good
>idea? Could it be done!?
>
>Please answer my question.
>
>THE BIGGEST CETACEAN LOVER,
>Delphine

Dear Delphine:

With a name like that, it's no wonder you really love whales!

About cloning endangered animals, my personal opinion is that it could be
useful some time in the future, though it might be many years before we can
actually clone a right whale.  Theoretically, I imagine it could be done.
But the thought of capturing an adult right whale and then raising ten-ton
clones seems a bit outside of current marine mammal technology.

Of course, cloning should be a LAST resort.  Better to establish strong
conservation guidelines (like keeping nets off dolphins) and help the wild
population recover on its own.

Keep up the good work!

Joe

Joseph Roman