Subject: salmon flesh

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:15:48 +0100

>Hi Mr. Roman:
>
>There is a debate at work as to why Salmon have pink flesh.  Some people
>believe Salmon have pink flesh because of a chemical reaction which occurs
>when Salmon migrate from fresh to salt water.  I don't believe this is true,
>but they don't believe me.  Can you help?  Thanks! Eric.

Dear Eric:

I'm afraid I've never heard the truth behind this rumor, either, though
some people say it's because pink guess so well with cream cheese and
bagels.

Unfortunately, the question's outside my area of expertise, which--until I
started answering questions on WhaleNet--I used to think was marine mammals.

Have you tried searching the Internet?  Sometimes running key words through
sites like Altavista or Dogpile works surprisingly well.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best,

Joe

Joseph Roman