Subject: sex ratio of Humpback whales in southeastern Alaska

roman (jroman@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:20:14 +0100

>Hello I am a 3 year student at the University of Alaska Southeast in Juneau,
>Alaska. I am working on a proposal on the determination of sex ratio of mature
>humpback whales found wintering in SE, Ak. I need to find a document that has
>up to date information containing the estimated sex ratio of mature humpbacks
>in all of southeast Alaska. I want to compare the ratios of wintering to the
>total population of humpbacks in SE. If you know any documents that would help
>me please let me know. I have heard that the ratio is 1:1, but I need some
>sort of published article. thanks Pam Parker

Dear Pam:

I looked through all of my resources here and haven't found any references
on sex ratios in humpbacks.  Have you tried Biological Abstracts or
Zoological Abstracts at your univerisyt.  If you enter key words such as
"demographics" and "humpbacks" you just MIGHT get lucky.

Otherwise the search engine on WhaleNet might help you track down a good
source:

http://whale.wheelock.edu/howtofind.html

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck,