Subject: tracking devices (fwd)

Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:30:19 -0500 (EST)

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:14:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Fred Wenzel <fwenzel@www1.wheelock.edu>
To: JETOCT@aol.com
Cc: fwenzel@whale.wheelock.edu, pita@whale.wheelock.edu,
    kburnett@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject: Re: tracking devices

Dear JETOCT
     WhaleNet works in conjunction with several whale and sea-turtle
groups that can keep track of animals by several methods.
     You can track marine mammals via satellite tags.  We have 20 or so
animals archived on WhaleNets site.  You can also follow animals via
"photo-identification" this is done within our humpback whale catalogue.
Satellite tags last a couple of months to less than a year and provide
micro-movements, dive behavior and habitat use of the individuals.
Photo-Identification provides long term tracking which can include
mark-recapture studies, migratory patterns, life history profiles and
databases which can/will exceed 20 years.
     Both can be found on WhaleNets website.
http://whale.wheelock.edu

Thanks for your question.

Frederick Wenzel