Subject: Question Regarding Fin Whales and others

Martine Berube (martine@sbs.bangor.ac.uk)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:42:41 GMT

At 04.45 PM 14-03-1999 EST, you wrote:
>Dear Sir/Mame
>
>Is it true or false that whales can hear one anothr across thousands of miles
>of ocean.  In paticular the Fin Whale?
>
>And which whale is the smallest, Brydes, Minke or sei
>
>Thank you  My sixth grade team has been looking for the answers to these
>questions and it is hard to find these answers on the internet.
>
>Thanks
>Evan (6th grader)

Dear Evan,
If you want to learn more about whales and acoustic, please at this site:
http://newport.pmel.noaa.gov/whales/pubs.html. I think you will enjoy it.
Here are the average lenght of the three species you asked for: Minke=20-30
feet; Sei=45-60 feet; Brydes=40-50 feet. So, minke whale would be the
smallest one. Please look at the Species/Classification information page on
the WhaleNet homepage for more information.

Sincerely,
Martine