Subject: blue whale

Martine Berube (martine@sbs.bangor.ac.uk)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:25:06 GMT

At 12.31 AM 16-03-1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi!  I am a teacher asking this question on behalf of my 4th grade class in
>Camden, South Carolina.  We are studying marine biology and right now are
>focusing on whales.  They are fascinated with the blue whale and want to
>know how many there are known to be alive today?  Thanks!

Dear All,

Here are three websites that can help to answer your question. I am giving
you three pages to show you how imprecise these estimates are. However, they
are a good indication of the status of these different species. Note that
the ocean where there are most concerns for blue whales is the North
Atlantic ocean.

http://www.seaworld.org/baleen_whales/estimatesbw.html
http://www.wcmc.org.uk/species/data/species_sheets/blue.htm
http://whales.magna.com.au/faq/index.html#003