Subject: underwater noise

Martine Berube (martine@sbs.bangor.ac.uk)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:44:09 GMT

At 03.06 PM 22-03-1999 +0000, you wrote:
>My family and I have recently completed a trip to St. Croix, Virgin
>Islands. While we were
>there we noticed that while snorkeling underwater we could hear all
>kinds of snapping and popping
>sounds. Our tour guide told us that it was the sound of crabs clicking
>their pincers. I did not believe
>this- I was guessing that it was water and sand movements that caused
>this underwater noise. Could
>you shed some light on this for me and my family?
>
>Thank You,
>Alice Mensch
>
>amensch@insightpd.com

Dear Alice,

It is difficult to guess what you were actually listening to while
snorkeling. If you read this popular article at this address
(http://www.exn.net/news/4.cfm), you can understand that there is a lot of
source of noise under the sea. For example, a lot of species of fishes,
mainly the ones living in school, are being found to use sound production as
a mean for navigation and communication. In addition, we know that sound
communication is well developed in species such as the fiddler crabs.
Cheers,
Martine
Martine Berube
School of Biological Sciences