Subject: Whale sexual behavior

Martine Berube (martine@sbs.bangor.ac.uk)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:53:27 +0100 (BST)

Dear Philip,
Your question is a bit general. While, the reproductive system might be
similar for most whale species, their sexual behavior differs.

As a start, I would look at the WhaleNet Species and Behaviors Information
and Links website where some basic information can be found for a number of
species.

In addition, here are some good references regarding the subject:

Bonner, W. N. 1980. Whales. Blandford Press, Poole, Dorset.

Clapham, P. J. 1996. The social and reproductive biology of Humpback whales:
an ecological perspective. Mammal Review 26: 27-49.

Gaskin, D. E. 1982. The Ecology of Whales and Dolphins. Heinemann, London
and Portsmouth, New Hamphires.

Good luck with your report,
Martine