Subject: whale communication

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar.Fertl@mms.gov)
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:17:25 -0400

     Hi, I am doing an 8-10 page report on whale communication for my
     Accelerated Biology class.  I was wondering if you could send me some
     info about whale communication and if you could suggest a couple of
     books I should check into.

     All your help is greatly appreciated, Thanks, Melissa Newman
     Freshmen at Christian Brothers

Author:  jim newman <newmans@ccio.com> at ~smtp
Date:    4/17/99 4:40 PM

     Hi Melissa,

     I'd suggest checking links on the WhaleNet site.  As far as books, I'd
     suggesting looking at:

     Herman, L.M., ed 1980.  Cetacean behavior: mechanisms and functions

     Pryor, K.S. and K.S. Norris, eds.  1991.  Dolphin societies:
     discoveries and puzzles.

     Any of Lou Herman's communication work is really good.  Also, there
     has been some other work by lots of other folks, and the links should
     be a good start, as well as a trip to your library, and looking thru
     the WhaleNet archives (I know I answered a similiar question a year or
     so ago, so the answer will be there).

     Good luck,
     Dagmar