Subject: marine biologist career

Howard Garrett (tokitae@bellsouth.net)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:06:49 -0400 (EDT)

I don't know if you can help me or not, but I thought I'd try.  I am
studying my top career choice, marine biology, and need some information.
What is a typical day of a marine biologist(M.B.)/What are some of the
duties of a M.B.?  What are some advantages/disadvantages of being a M.B.?
Any info you can give me is VERY helpful.  Thank you SO MUCH!

Alison

        Dear Alison,

        I went to the WhaleNet Search Engine and typed in "career" and found
these excellent entries. There are more. The only thing not directly covered
is advantages/disadvantages. That depends very much on your goals and
tolerances. A task like dismembering a rotting whale carcass on a cold beach
might be pure joy for some for the thrill of discovery, but considered a
disadvantage for others. Endless hours spent either en route to whales or
wondering where they are could likewise be positive or negative depending on
one's temperament. Of course there are many niches within the field of
marine biology, and some of these situations can be avoided. Here's what I
found:

                        ***

I would suggest you look at a copy of 'Strategies for pursuing a career
in marine mammal science' (Allen Press, 1-800-627-0629).  The booklet
outlines what sorts of qualifications you need to particiate in various
ways and lists places that have appropriate programs.  Once you have an
idea what you need you can look around for schools that can offer you
it.

Good luck!

Dr. Schaeff
                        ***

> Hi my name is Mir and I go to Crossroads in california. I am working on
> a project about science carreers and need a marine bioligist to answer
> the following questions:
>
> What influenced you to choose this career?
I think the excitement in knowing that I coulkd do  something new and
undone, aside from being on the water and observing whales/marine mammals,
etc.
> What is the most interesting thing about this career?
Always observing something new and different, the opportunity for
discovery, and contribution to the knowledge of these animals.

> Describe a typical day in this profession.
VARIED.  You can spend a day on the water photographing, collecting data
and/or whale feces.  You could be in the office inputting data, working in
the darkroom, or cooking lunch and fixing an outboard motor.  You have to
be a jack of all trades.

> What skills are required?
Data analysis, photography, boat handling, patience, a little insanity,
math, geography, .....

> What education is required?
Formal and informal,  volunteering for field experience in VERY valuable
as is the formal classes upon which you base  some of  your work.  Some
classes give mixed messages, but that sorts itself out.

> What branch of science is connected with it?
ALL branches-turely interdisciplinary.

> Where do this type of scientist work?
All over the world--from the nice comfy areas like Maui to the Antarctic.
It depends on what you want to study and how much you can tolerate in
relation to temp, sun, bugs, camping, food, etc.

> What is significant about this career?
The potential for discovery and contribution to science, the marine
mammals, and to yourself.

> Does this career leave you with spare time?
That depends on how invested you are and how driven you become.  For many,
"My work is my play" is an accurate quote.  This is NOT a 9 to 5 job.

Mike Williamson

                        ***

        Good luck!

Howard

Howard Garrett
Tokitae Foundation
Lolita Campaign Coordinator
(305) 672-4039
tokitae@bellsouth.net

For more on Lolita, and to hear her family and see a video of Lolita in
her tank, check out the NEW Free Lolita web site at: http://www.FreeLolita.net

and for a campaign overview, see the EVEN NEWER Lolita Come Home Page at:
http://www.rockisland.com/~tokitae/