Subject: Marine biology

Howard Garrett (tokitae@bellsouth.net)
Sat, 1 May 1999 18:37:47 -0400 (EDT)

>Hello. My name is Samantha Wirth and I am an 8th grade student at Edward Town
>Middle Scool. I am interested in being a marine biologist when I graduate and
>so I have picked that as the topic of a project for my Home and Careers
>class. One thing I must have is an interview with a Marine Biologist so since
>you are one will you kindly take 5 minutes and answer these questions?

        I will be happy to answer the interview. You should know, however,
that I arrived at the field of marine biology in a relatively
non-traditional way. For instance, my degree is in Sociology, not Biology. I
still view nature with an empirical methodology, but my perspective is to
look for signs of social systems and cultures. This point of view may be
relevant. In recent months DNA evidence has come to light that indicates
that at least three species of cetaceans (orcas, sperm whales, and pilot
whales) live in matrilineal cultures, in a similar sense that human
communities tend to form into cultures, and that cultural factors influence
the course of the species' evolution.

Most marine biologists work for or with government agencies, academic
institutions or marine parks, and it could be useful to you to get a couple
of interviews from those fields as well.

>1) What is your full name?

        Howard Garrett

>2)What is the title of your job?

        Educator/lobbyist.

>3)How did you get this job?

        It evolved over the past 20 years or so.

>4)How long have you been working at this job?

        In my current job, 18 months.

>5)What are your daily job responsibilities?

        Generate public acceptance of the idea that a captive orca should be
returned to her native waters.

>6)What education or training did you need to qualify?

        17 years of field research and studies in cetology.

>7)What special skills or characteristics are important for this job?

        Writing and presentation abilities, a sense of social dynamics, and
sufficient knowledge of the subject.

>8)How could a young person develop these skills or characteristics?

        Schools are designed to teach writing and hopefully presentation
skills. Social dynamics can be self-taught or found in advanced courses.
Your particular specialty may depend on your personal contacts and
interests, developed with study and perseverence.

Howard Garrett
Tokitae Foundation
Lolita Campaign Coordinator
(305) 672-4039
tokitae@bellsouth.net

For more on Lolita, and to hear her family and see a video of Lolita in
her tank, check out the NEW Free Lolita web site at: http://www.FreeLolita.net

and for a campaign overview, see the EVEN NEWER Lolita Come Home Page at:
http://www.rockisland.com/~tokitae/