Subject: whale fat

Howard Garrett (tokitae@bellsouth.net)
Mon, 3 May 1999 23:08:43 -0400 (EDT)

>hi. im here to ak you for info about whale fat. i was wondering if you had
>any info about a whales fat? what i really need to know is it is true that a
>whale can stay warmer than another mamal if it has more fat. well please send
>me some info about the fat of a whale and try to answer my question.
>		thank you so ever much, Swirrl2004

        Whales are covered with thick layers of blubber, which is a kind of
compressed fat, that ranges from a fraction of an inch in tropical dolphins
to over a foot thick for Artic bowheads. The blubber acts like a big
waterproof down coat that forms a barrier to the cold of the water and
leaves the whales feeling just right, especially since they can easily warm
up or cool down whenever they need to.

Howard Garrett
Tokitae Foundation
Lolita Campaign Coordinator
(305) 672-4039
tokitae@bellsouth.net

For more on Lolita, and to hear her family and see a video of Lolita in
her tank, check out the NEW Free Lolita web site at: http://www.FreeLolita.net

and for a campaign overview, see the EVEN NEWER Lolita Come Home Page at:
http://www.rockisland.com/~tokitae/