Subject: Sea salt

Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Wed, 12 May 1999 19:54:50 -0400 (EDT)

>Hello,
I would have to look up the answer to this myself which would take some
time so I suggest that you continue to search the internet using key words
like salt water, ponds, lakes, leaching, runoff, etc.  For tagging of
whales search WhaleNet's pages on tagging right whales and other species.
I hope this helps you - good luck. Kim

Question:
>Our 7th grade class is studying oceanography and tracking whales.  I was
>wondering why - if the salt in the sea comes from the land and leaching
>- why aren't lakes salty too?  I understand the water cycle and
>evaporation, and it seems as if lakes should have salt from the runoff
>of streams and rivers that should accumulate as well.  I need this
>information for part of my report if you can help me.  Thank you so
>much!

Kim Marshall-Tilas
Whale Conservation Institute/Ocean Alliance
191 Weston Road
Lincoln, MA  01773
(781) 259-0423
fax: 259-0288