Subject: Whale Watching Long Island, NY

Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Thu, 13 May 1999 14:22:38 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Mr. Binger,
Please try contacting the following whale watches that are near your
vicinity: Cape May Whale Watch and Research Center (609) 898-0055 or
Okeanos Whale Watch Cruises at (516) 728-4522.  There should be good
sightings this time of year but as these are wild animals (humpback, fin,
minke, and pilot whales) no one can guarantee that they will do what we
want them to do.  That is the glory of these animals.  So far we have had
great sightings off of Stellwagon bank.

For additional whale related education programs we have the following
program and materials:
Whale Conservation Institute (WCI)/Ocean Alliance
Pacific Life Foundation WHALE Education Program
Teaching Materials 1999 & Lecture Information
For Educators and Educational Institutions

The Pacific Life Foundation WHALE Education Program (PLFWEP) is a
multimedia, thematically based, hands-on education program designed to
develop in students a comprehensive appreciation for whales, science and
the ocean environment.  It includes a middle-school level curriculum guide
and accompanying components.  The program is based on the acclaimed IMAX
film Whales. The PLFWEP is designed so that teachers can easily understand
and implement the information, as a whole or in part, into standardized
classroom agendas.  Students will be intrigued with the program's
interesting and focused subject matter.  The WLFWEP incorporates national
education standards.

Pacific Life Foundation WHALE Education Program Learning Kit
$130.00 + $7.00 s/h

1) Curriculum Guide N/C (sponsored by Pacific Life Fndn.)  and worksheets
2) "Whales" Video (IMAX) by Destination Cinema, National Wildlife
Federation, Zephyr Productions, Dr. Roger Payne/WCI
3) "In the Company of Whales" CD-ROM by the Discovery Channel and Dr. Roger
Payne/WCI
4) "Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises - The visual guide to all the world's
cetaceans" by Mark Carwardine/Eyewitness Handbooks
5) "Whales" Zoobook by Wildlife Education, Inc.
6) "Dolphins and Porpoises" Zoobook by Wildlife Education, Inc.
7) "Songs of the Humpback Whales" CD by WCI
8) "Deep Voices" CD (blue, fin, humpback and right whale sounds) by WCI
9) "Cetacean Comparison Chart" by the American Cetacean Society (Phase 2
will have a new poster designed by WCI and Robin Lee Makowski)

Partial Kit based on Curriculum Guide Requirements
$40.00 + $4.00 s/h

1) Curriculum Guide N/C (sponsored by Pacific Life Fndn.)  and worksheets
2) "Whales" Video (IMAX) by Destination Cinema, National Wildlife
Federation, Zephyr Productions, Dr. Roger Payne/WCI
3)  "Songs of the Humpback Whales" CD by WCI
4) "Deep Voices" CD (blue, fin, humpback and right whale sounds) by WCI
5) "Cetacean Comparison Chart" by the American Cetacean Society (Phase 2
will have a new poster designed by WCI and Robin Lee Makowski)

Please make checks payable to Whale Conservation Institute (Education
Materials).  Visa and mastercard accepted.  Please allow 2 weeks for
delivery.  Orders can be also be placed by emailing whale@oceanalliance.org.

WCI/Ocean Alliance also offers free information packets that includes
information on six whale species, WhaleNet (interactive information source
offering up-to-date resources to students, researchers, and educators via
the internet), adopt-a-whale information, and general whale information on
whaling, migration patterns, and population statistics.

Lecture Information

WCI/Ocean Alliance staff offer interesting/multimedia presentations about
the organization, historical whale research, current research programs,
whale biology, and toxicological and environmental issues.  The fees for a
one-hour presentation following with a question and answer period are as
follows:

Dr. Roger Payne 			$2500
Iain Kerr				$1000
Kim Marshall-Tilas			$ 500

Local School Fees:
Iain Kerr				$250-500
Kim Marshall-Tilas			$150-300
Cynde Bierman			$125-200

South-East (Florida area):
Laura Engelby				$250-500

These fees do not include travel/mileage expenses.  Please contact Kim
Marshall-Tilas at (800) 96WHALE or (781) 259-0423 for more information.

Thank you and good luck! Kim

Question:
 Where are the successful whale sightings (RIGHT NOW - early MAY)
>on the Northeastern coasts? We are a school on Long Island, NY and would
>like the closest sight to take a "whale watch cruise" with my two marine
>bio classes. THANK YOU for your help.                  Mr. Hank Binger
>zoolab@cps.k12.ny.us

Kim Marshall-Tilas
Whale Conservation Institute/Ocean Alliance
191 Weston Road
Lincoln, MA  01773
(781) 259-0423
fax: 259-0288