Subject: Hormones effecting the behavior of the humpback whale

Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Tue, 18 May 1999 15:37:52 -0400 (EDT)

Reply:
I asked whale scientist Dr. Phil Clapham of the Large Whale Biology Program
at the Northeast Fisheries Science Center if he could recommond any books
that might address your question.  His reply was: "There has been
essentially no research into humpback whale endocrinology, except for some
side stuff related to reproduction.  Try Slijper, who might have something
to say on this subject in general."  (Slijper is an author.)
I hope this helps you! Thank you.
Kim

Question:
>  Could you help me, at the moment I am studying a course in animal
>anatomy and physiology and I'm having trouble finding out any thing on the
>endocrinology of the humpbacked whale. I need to know such things as what
>hormones it uses all the time, and hormones that are only used at certain
>times like pregnancy. If you do have any info it would be a great help.

Kim Marshall-Tilas
Whale Conservation Institute/Ocean Alliance
191 Weston Road
Lincoln, MA  01773
(781) 259-0423
fax: 259-0288