Subject: Re: Interest in work

Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Thu, 20 May 1999 20:30:49 GMT

>Question:Dear Kim,
>A friend of mine contacted you about marine mammology.  You just answered
>a few questions for her and I was wondering if you could help me out.  I
>will be graduating next august with a bachelors in biology.  I am very
>interested in marine mammology work and was wondering if you could point me
>in the right direction.  I would also like to get into the university of
>hawaii for a masters in marine life, but as always, you have to know
>someone.  It is definately not what you know, but who.  Please keep me
>informed of anything that may be of interest to me.  Thank you for your time.

Reply:
One of the best places we have found to get information about how to pursue
a career in marine sciences is the website provided by MarMam.  The website
is http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/strat.htm.  You can also join their
discussion group, which will allow you to start making contacts in this
field.  Also look at the career section on WhaleNet at
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenetstuff/ed_resources.html
Good luck with your search. Kim

Kim Marshall-Tilas
Whale Conservation Institute/Ocean Alliance
191 Weston Road
Lincoln, MA  01773
(781) 259-0423
fax: 259-0288