Subject: Re: Orcas

Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Thu, 20 May 1999 20:30:50 GMT

>Question: Do orcas have gall bladders?  Weight of tongue, heart, liver,
>stomach, lungs
>of average orca.  How often do Transient Orcas feed?  Do they gorge when they
>find food and then wait before feeding again?  Or do they eat small amounts
>as they find prey?  Probably both?  Thank you very much.

Reply:
Cetaceans (including orcas) don't have gall bladders.  As for your other
questions, I think the one of the places that could give you the best
information is the Center for Whale Research, at
http://www.rockisland.com/~orcasurv/orcas.htm.  They have information on
resident and transient whales, and you may be able to ask them the
particulars of orca anatomy.  Good luck with your search! Kim

Kim Marshall-Tilas
Whale Conservation Institute/Ocean Alliance
191 Weston Road
Lincoln, MA  01773
(781) 259-0423
fax: 259-0288