Subject: blue whales calving grounds

Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Sat, 22 May 1999 23:08:59 GMT

>Question:
I am asking this question for my second grader who is researching
>blue whales.  He would like to know in what oceans the blue whale has
>its' babies?

Reply:
This is a great question because it seems that blue whales do not have a
specific ocean where they breed and give birth to babies or calves.  Blue
whales can communicate over long distances, over a thousand miles, so to
breed they probably just start calling for a mate.  Like most other species
of whales they probably give birth to their young in warmer waters (Mexico,
California) but they generally are found in cooler waters.
Please search WhaleNet's information pages at
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/classifications.html.

Good luck! Kim

Kim Marshall-Tilas
Whale Conservation Institute/Ocean Alliance
191 Weston Road
Lincoln, MA  01773
(781) 259-0423
fax: 259-0288