Subject: size of blue whale aorta

Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 09:53:57 +0100

On 04 June 1999 00:35, Mary Vogas wrote:

>I teach classes on endangered animals to students in grades 1 - 12 in
>various school districts in the Houston, Texas area.  I have read many
>times that the aorta of the blue whale is big enough for a child to crawl
>through.  I want to show the students the actual size of it.  What is the
>dimensions of an adult blue whale's aorta?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Mary Vogas
>Environmental Educator

Dear Mary,

I have not been able to find the size of blue whale aortas in any of my
written references.  I have read that the heart is the size of a Volkswagon
Beetle.  I am now e-mailing scientists who might have the answer, but it
could take them some time to get back to me.  I just wanted to let you know
that I am working on your question.

Nancy Stevick