Subject: Whale careers

Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 07:26:53 -0400

Hi Laurie:

It doesn't sound stupid at all - it's a great idea!  But you do have to
ask yourself exactly what it is you want to do.  A lot of folks think
about doing "whale research" but don't always really appreciate that the
research is pretty rigorous science rather than going out and just
looking at whales.  Whale biologists are scientists, with scientific
training in biology, zoology or something similar.  Check out the
eductaional resources page on Whalenet at:

http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/ed_resources.html

There are non-scientists (and some scientists also) who work as
naturalists (guides) on whalewatching boats, so if you don't want to go
the whole hog and become a scientist this is one option (though it won't
take you as far as a career in science can).  Getting one of these jobs
obviously requires some experience, a lot of background knowledge (read,
read!) and an ability to present.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.
Large Whale Biology Program