Subject: Re: A query

Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 08:58:15 -0400

Hi again:

Whoops, forgot your second question.  I'm not hooked into the marine vet
scene very well, but Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution used to run
what they called the AquaVet program, which was conducted in
collaboration with Penn State (I think - either that or U Pa).  Don't
know if it's still active, but try a Web search.

Your major goal here, in addition to academics, should obviously be to
get experience - it's the difference between getting ahead and not in
any field.  Try one of the major aquaria, or (better) the Marine Mammal
Center in Sausalito CA.  Their vet, Frances Gulland, is terrific, both
personally and professionally.  They have a Web page (doesn't everyone?)

If you're financially independent, buy me a Ferrari... whoops... I meant
to say attend the 13th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine
Mammals this year.  It's in Hawaii in late November.  The web page is:

http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/

This meeting is the largest in the marine mammal field, and is a huge
opportunity for making contacts, getting up to date on science, and
generally being stimulated.  Beg, borrow or steal to get there.

Phil

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.
Large Whale Biology Program