Subject: Re: dolphins

Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:44:11 -0400

Hi:

This is not an issue I know much about, I'm afraid.  It's pretty
controversial.  The dolphins are generally bottlenose (the standard
aquarium dolphin), and they're used for autistic kids and some other
individuals.  I think the benefit is supposed to be entirely
psychological, but I don't know if anyone has conducted a rigorous study
of this.  Bottlenose dolphins can be pretty aggressive, sometimes
sexually so (males at least).

The issue of how dolphins react depends in part on context.  Some
swim-with-dolphins programs (at least one I'm aware of) do things on the
dolphin's terms, i.e. they won't let people actively approach.  If the
animal wants to come over, great.  But with others it's a lot more
"invasive" of the dolphin's space.  Again, no studies that I know of
about the impact on the animals.

One organization that I THINK does this is Dolphin Research center in
Grassy Key, Florida.  I'm sure you can find them on the Web.  Among the
various swith-with outfits, they have one of the best reputations.

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.
Large Whale Biology Program