Subject: WHALE WATCHING

Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:26:43 -0400

Reply:
Hello, there is a lot of information written about whale watching and the
possible impacts/non-impacts it has on the environment and the whales.  The
International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) published a booklet about
whale watching recently that will help answer some of your questions.  This
booklet outlines studies and programs that have been put in place around
the world to protect whales from human induced harrasment.  Please contact
them at (508) 362.4944.  They are located in Yarmouthport, Massachusetts.
Good luck on your paper!  Kim

Question:
>I'm a student in a French Biology School and I have to write a study on the
>whale watching industry and on its impact on the environment especially
>about the increase of whales populations, about the issues that it could
>raise in the future (issues linked to food chain for exemple) and about the
>hazards that this industry entails pour the animals.

Kim Marshall-Tilas
Whale Conservation Institute/Ocean Alliance
191 Weston Road
Lincoln, MA  01773
(781) 259-0423
fax: 259-0288