Subject: Re: Can you answer my questions about fur seals?

Greg Early (gearly@neaq.org)
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:59:10 -0500

Gretchen,

The short answer is, that there is not a short answer.  This is due to the
fact that females behave a bit differently than males.  Females will nurse
their young (on shore), and periodically go off to feed for themselves.
Depending on a number of factors (including availability of food among
other things) their behavior at sea will vary.  The number of times, and
the length of time they will spend tending their young will also vary.  For
the most part Northern fur seal females nurse for a shorter length of time
(with a richer milk) than more temperate or tropical fur seals (and if
times are really tough, they may have a greater tendency to abandon young).
 Males behave differently (because they will not be spending time and
energy raising young). And they are bigger to begin with.

Here are a couple of web sites to give you a bit more information.

http://www.mms.gov/omm/pacific/public/scpinapd.htm
http://www.tmmc.org/nfurseal.htm
http://www.greenchannel.com/tec/species/norfursl.htm
http://swfsc.ucsd.edu/sars/SAR98/NoFur_Seal.htm
http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/sebscc/results/loughlin/1998/tooth_report.html

  The best place to find information about fur seals though is the book
"Behavior and Ecology of the Northern Fur Seal" by Roger Gentry or an
earlier book "Fur Seals: Maternal Strategies on Land and at Sea " also by
Gentry and Gerald Koyman (both published by Princeton Press).

ge

 At 10:06 PM 11/02/99 -0500, you wrote:
>To Whom It May Concern:
>
>     My name is Gretchen Roecker. I am in seventh grade at Acadia Middle
>School in Clifton Park, New York. For my science class, I am required to
>complete a project on the migration of Northern fur seals. If possible,
>please send me some information on the following question as soon as
>possible:What bodily changes/preparation does the fur seal undergo
>before migrating?
>     Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
>
>                         Sincerely,
>                            Gretchen Roecker

Greg Early
Edgerton Research Laboratory