Subject: Re: weight of whale's tongue

Greg Early (gearly@neaq.org)
Wed, 03 Nov 1999 12:03:39 -0500

Ms. Logan,

You are right.  The tongue of toothed whales is much smaller than the
tongue of the baleen whales.  I do not have exact numbers here, but we are
talking on the order of pounds for the dolphins (maybe up to a hundred or
so pounds for the really big toothed whale, the sperm whale) as opposed to
a ton or so for a really big baleen whale (like a blue whale).

ge

At 08:19 PM 11/02/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Greg,
>I am a second grade teacher and my students want to know the weight of a
>whale's tongue.  My guess is it varies with the species but if you could
>give some idea, I could pass it on to my kids.
>Thanks,
>Linda Logan
>glinlog@pacific.net

Greg Early