Subject: regarding marine mammology

Greg Early (gearly@neaq.org)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 09:20:56 -0500

Deana,

Well the good news is that you are not alone, and there is a lot of
material to be found on the web that can help.

One of the best starting points is at the Society of Marine Mammology at
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/

This is a good place to see what marine mammalogist do, and there is a link
to a document about how to plan to be a marine mammalogist.  The other way
to do this is call up any web search utility (google at
http://www.google.com/ is a good one for this) and enter a search for "want
to be a marine biologist" (or scientist) and you will find pages (and pages
and...) of helpful advise.

good luck

ge

At 10:38 PM 11/03/99 EST, you wrote:
>Dear Mr. Early,
>    I am a 22 year-old community college student who has recently found a
>passion for marine biology.  I am fascinated by marine animals and believe
>that I would like to pursue a career in some type of marine biology.  My
>secret passion would be to work with dolphins.  I was wondering what the
>difference between marine biology and marine mammology is and if I am very
>interested in dolphins and working with them what avenue of graduate studies
>should I pursue.  Can you give me some tips on how to get subscriptions to
>marine science magazines, become involved in marine biology organizations,
>and what area of study I should pursue.  Should I study marine biology or
>marine mammology?  Any assistance you could give me in this would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>                                        Sincerely,
>                                            Deana Riggall

Greg Early