Subject: ???

Greg Early (gearly@neaq.org)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 11:26:46 -0500

Brian,

I'm afraid you have got me there.  It does not sound like a tooth (teeth
would not be porous).  Nor does it sound like a fossil (once a bone is
mineralized, it should not be white at the center.  It sounds like bone of
some kind, probably not fish (again would not be porous).  Turtle or mammal
part is a possibility, but the best thing to do would be to contact a local
natural history museum or nature center and check with them.  If it is a
turtle or marine mammal part it may also be protected (the laws about
marine mammals and endangered species apply both tho the live critters and
their dead parts), another good reason to have a museum check it out...

ge

 At 08:59 AM 11/08/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Dr. Early---
>Recently, while walking the beach at Myrtle Beach, SC, I found several
>objects which appear to be fossilized teeth.  They are about the size of
>a lemon, are greyish/black in color, are fairly dense, somewhat porous,
>shaped like a tooth or more oblong hershey kiss.  One is broken and
>reveals some white porous material inside, as well as some large air
>pockets.  People on the beach said they have been referred to as
>fossilized turtle skulls, but I've seen many skulls & this description
>just didn't fit.  Any ideas?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Brian McCarthy
>Hope Mills, NC