Subject: unidentified whale???

Greg Early (gearly@neaq.org)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:55:58 -0500

Etienne,

Looks to me like what is left of a basking shark.  The tip off is the shape
of the vertebra in your fourth photo.  Dead bits of basking sharks found on
beaches have been identifies as everything from dead whales to sea monsters.

whew ...

ge

At 01:37 PM 11/09/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>    I'm trying to identify the remains of an animal that landed on
>Miscou island (north eastern New Brunswick, Canada) a few weeks ago.It
>measured around 25-30 feet, mostly cartillage but for what seems to be
>bones in the rear legs or flippers.I'm attaching pictures wich era
>pretty large in size and memory (around 3 Meg). Could you give me your
>opinion on that animal.
>
>Attachment Converted: "C:\TEMP\MAIL\photo1.jpg"
>
>Attachment Converted: "C:\TEMP\MAIL\photo2.jpg"
>
>Attachment Converted: "C:\TEMP\MAIL\photo3.jpg"
>
>Attachment Converted: "C:\TEMP\MAIL\photo4.jpg"

Greg Early
Edgerton Research Laboratory
New England Aquarium
Central Wharf