Subject: Sea Lions

Bete Jones (bjones@cats.ucsc.edu)
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:39:01 -0800

At 10:56 AM 11/19/99 CST, you wrote:
>Dear Ms. Jones,
>

>    My name is Megan Hencke and I am an eighth grader at River Ridge Middle
>School. A group of classmates and I are studying marine life, and my topic
>is sea lions. I know nothing about them, and I was wondering if you could
>send me any and all web-sites on these creatures. I was also wondering if
>you could give me information on agencies that would let people adopt sea
>lions. Do you know of any other sites where I could join organizations where
>I could help people protect them? If you could, this information would be
>greatly appreciated. Any responses will be sent to my teacher's e-mail
>address. Thanks again!
>

>Megan Hencke

Dear Megan

A couple of good places to start your search are at the Wheelock College
Whalenet page (http://whale.wheelock.edu) and at the National Marine
Fisheries Service, Marine Mammal Laboratory (http://nmml.afsc.noaa.gov).

Sea lions are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act which is
administered by the National Marine Fishereies Service.  I am not aware of
any federal or state agency that allow adoption of sea lions.  Any adoption
would have to be in theory, as there is no way you would be able to
physically care for an animal.  There are organizations such as the Marine
Mammal Center in Sausalito, CA that rehabilitate sea lions that have been
hurt.  You could contact them to try to find information on a similar
organization in your area.

There are also many great books in the library on sea lions.  You could
also get a lot of information there.

Good luck,

Bete