Subject: Career Information

mike williamson (williams@www1.wheelock.edu)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:16:16 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 05:02:28 PST
From: Dagmar Fertl <dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com>
To: jlbaldwin@erols.com
Cc: williams@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject: Re: Information regarding a WhaleNet A.S.K. question

Hi, Calli!

You caught me on my last day in the office until 14 December. I'm getting
ready to leave for a big marine mammal conference in Hawaii. I'm glad that
my answer on WhaleNet helped you with a report for your marine biology
class! Thanks for letting me know that.

I work for the Minerals Management Service (in New Orleans, LA), which is
part of the U.S. Department of Interior. I work environmental impact
statements regarding the effects of oil/gas development/production on marine
mammals, sea turtles, and birds in the Gulf of Mexico.  So, I guess you
could say, that is currently my field of study - human impacts on marine
mammals. My training is in the latter, as well as general behavioral
ecology, particularly, feeding ecology of dolphins.  I went to high school
in Houston, TX; I have a Bachelor's of Science from Trinity University (San
Antonio, TX)in Biology (I was pre-vet); and a Master's degree from Texas A&M
University in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences.  For more information on
things I am currently involved in, you might want to check out
http://www.mms.gov and look in the Gulf of Mexico section for marine mammals
or GulfCet (which is a project that the agency I work for funded on Gulf of
Mexico cetaceans (whales and dolphins).  Besides a desk job, I still manage
to get in the field to study the Gulf's whales and dolphins, for 3 wks every
spring/summer.  The website will give you some more information on that. I
also helped design a poster on the Gulf's whales and dolphins, and wrote a
teacher's packet that goes with that poster. In fact, you might want to tell
your teacher about it (it's FREE). I am also working on various articles for
a marine mammal encyclopedia that will be published in a few years, as well
as some articles for various scientific journals. In fact, a friend, who
works in New Zealand, and I just sent off a paper about a killer whale that
had stranded in New Zealand, was put back in the water, is still being seen,
but unfortunately got hit by a boat that tore the dorsal fin almost in half.
  With the Internet, it makes it even easier to work with researchers in
other parts of the world. It sometimes even happens that you haven't even
met the other person before, and I are writing a paper together!

Good Luck!
Ms. Dagmar Fertl