Subject: Career In Marine Biology

Bete Jones (bjones@cats.ucsc.edu)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:04:47 -0800

At 07:08 PM 11/23/99 EST, you wrote:
>Hi,
>My name is Dana Davis. I am of Brooklyn,New York and I am interested in
>persuing a career in the field of marine biology. For my high school biology
>class, we are to research a field in biology we are interested in, so I
chose
>this one. I have done much research over the past few days but have failed
>find answers to a few vital questions. My questions are :
>What are the education requirements in order to work in the field of marine
>biology and what is the training once a person gets accepted into the
program?
> Thank you so very much and I hope you can get back to me as soon as
>possible.
>
>Sincerely yours,
>Dana

Dear Dana,

A good place to look for an answer to your question if you are interested
in marine mammals specifically is on the following web page:
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/strat.htm

For marine biology in general, there are different levels at which you can
work in the field.  So, it just depends on what you want to do.  You can
get field jobs with a bachelor's degree, but if you want to develop your
own project, you generally need an advanced degree - a masters or a PhD.
There are some good schools for marine biology in North Carolina (Duke
University) and Florida.

Good luck!

Bete Jones