Subject: Re: whale migrations

Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:21:21 -0500

Yep, I can.  There are two whales that migrate the furthest.  The gray
whale goes from Mexico (where it mates and gives birth) to Alaska and
Russia, which is close to 5000 miles one way.  The humpback whale also
migrates a long way (also around 5000 miles), and it does this in a lot
of places.  One is from the Antarctic to Colombia in South America
(North Pacific).  Another population goes from the West Indies
(Caribbean) to the Arctic off Norway.

The record is actually held by several whales that were individually
identified in both the Antarctic (a place called the Antarctic Peninsula
- right below South America) and off Gorgona Island, Colombia.  The
whales were identified by their tail patterns, which are like
fingerprints in that there are no two patterns the same.

Hope this helps!

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D.