Seabits 4.6 (fwd)

From: mike williamson (williams@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 03 2000 - 07:31:16 EDT

Subject: Seabits 4.6

S E A B I T S
New England Aquarium Monthly e-mail Newsletter
<http://www.neaq.org/>
Volume 4, Issue 6, June 2000
Copyright, New England Aquarium 2000
We're ready for summer! Take advantage of the New England Aquarium's many
opportunities to get you and your family into the world of water. We have
whale watches, family field trips, a new Exploration Center on Easton's
Beach in Rhode Island, Tall Ships tours and lots of other summer programs.
On June 4, we celebrate Realm of the Reptile, a special day devoted to all
things scaly, including snakes, crocodiles and lizards. And, from now until
July 1, we are accepting entries to the Constrictor Contest - name our
three large African rock pythons in our new exhibit. E-mail 'em in!

In this issue, we go out on a fish round-up in the Florida Keys, we check
in with our egg-laying goosefish and we take you for a little
behind-the-scenes peek at the fascinating world of exhibit maintenance.

In this issue:
  Watery Words
  Stories
    - Florida Keys Fish Rodeo
    - Loosey Goosey
    - A Morning in New England's Africa
    - Extra Bits
  Out on the Net
  Announcements
    - Constrictor Contest
    - New England Aquarium Exploration Center in Newport Opens
    - Tall Ships Are Coming
    - Ecology and Evolution in Aquatic Systems Course
    - Pew Fellows Program in Marine Conservation
  June Calendar
  Subscribe/Unsubscribe
  Contact Us

***** WATERY WORDS *******************************************

     "What whale watches do is educate about not only the whales you see,
      but on the entire ecosystem and food chain. Those ecosystems are
      voiceless without the whales as their ambassadors."

      -- Scott Kraus, Director of Research, New England Aquarium
      (For whale watch reservations, call (617) 973-5281.)

***** STORIES ************************************************
This month's stories
  1) Florida Keys Fish Rodeo
  2) Loosey Goosey
  3) A Morning in New England's Africa
  4) Extra Bits

----- FLORIDA KEYS FISH RODEO --------------------------------------------
What are the odds of finding three particular individual fish in the
Florida Keys? My guess would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of
astronomically low. And yet, in around four hours on one Thursday afternoon
in late April, a team of divers caught two of the three fugitives: escaped
Pacific batfish (Platax orbicularus).

Pacific batfish are just that: Pacific. They have no business hanging out
in the Florida Keys with their Atlantic cousins, the spadefish. And yet,
there they were: unmistakably spotted by recreational divers and Florida
Keys National Marine Sanctuary (NMS) officials. REEF (the Reef
Environmental Education Foundation) has been following the batfish since
1994, although the 2-foot male was reportedly seen by some local divers in
1988. At first, the appearance of a lone Pacific batfish wasn't much cause
for concern. But when two more, another 2-foot adult and a 1-foot juvenile,
appeared on the reef, the NMS folks started to get a little worried that
the fish would breed and displace native animals.

Dave Savage, Upper Keys regional manager for the Florida Keys NMS,
speculates the batfish were probably released by home aquarium owners when
their cute little juveniles got too big for their tanks. Looking at an
inch-long baby, you would never suspect that the fish grows up to 2 feet in
length, and does it rather quickly!

At first, the plan was to "eliminate" the invaders. But when Laddie Akins
of REEF got wind of the plan, he called New England Aquarium divemaster
Holly Martel Bourbon, and they cooked up a scheme to round up the batfish
and display them at the New England Aquarium as "poster fish" for the
dangers posed by invader species. We also want to warn fish hobbyists to
learn about their fish before they buy so they don't end up with 2-foot
fish on their hands.

With planning worthy of a NASA mission, Holly and Laddie collaborated with
Billy Causey and John Halas from NOAA, Dave Savage from the Florida Keys
NMS and Forrest Young and Ben Daughtry, professional fish collectors from
Dynasty Marine Associates, Inc. (who donated their time and equipment), to
organize permits, equipment and supplies for a day-long fish hunt.
Surprisingly, within minutes of hitting the water, Team Batfish was
informed by a nearby diver that one of their quarry was directly beneath
the boat. Five minutes later, batfish #1 was in custody. Could it really be
that easy? No.

Spooked by the divers, batfish #2 took off for deeper waters, leading the
intrepid fish collectors on a merry chase. Using underwater scooters, the
hunters chased batfish #2 around the reef, losing and finding it again,
eventually cornering it pretty much in the same location where its partner
was collected. With two of the invaders in their state-of-the-art
two-laundry-baskets-tied-together holding pens, the team decided to call it
quits when there was no sign of the third. In fact, the third batfish
hasn't been spotted since the expedition.

The two batfish flew to the New England Aquarium, their new home, courtesy
of supersaver fares from American Airlines. They are now behind the scenes
in quarantine, and expected to join our Caribbean coral reef exhibit, the
Giant Ocean Tank, in June sometime. We will be interested to see if they
decide to hang out with Atlantic spadefish here, too. They should feel
right at home, since ours is also an Atlantic exhibit!

Droplet: A few reasons to be alien-o-phobic: Alien species can eat native
animals and plants into extinction. Alien species can mate with native
species and decrease their genetic variability, compromising their
survival. Alien species can bring diseases and parasites with them that can
get out of control. Alien species can destroy the balance of an ecosystem.
This is not just supposition. Look around and you can see damage done by
gypsy moths, fields of kudzu and purple loosestrife, and water bodies
choked with zebra mussels. In Florida, almost a third of the plants are
non-native. In East Africa's Lake Victoria, the non-native Nile perch is
blamed for the extinction of around 250 native fish species.

----- LOOSEY GOOSEY -------------------------------------------------------
If you were at the Aquarium on Sunday afternoon, May 21, you may have had a
chance to witness a truly unique sight: a female goosefish laying eggs in
the Harrington Northern Waters Gallery. In about five minutes, she spurted
out millions of eggs, filling the tank. In the ocean, a goosefish can lay a
floating raft of eggs as large as 39 feet long and 5 feet wide! Her
previously balloon-like body reverted to its normal flattened shape shortly
after she laid the eggs. Like chickens, female goosefish lay eggs
regardless of whether there's a male around to fertilize them. No rooster
(or male goosefish in this case), no fertilized eggs.

In her enthusiasm for her project, our goosefish unfortunately also
expelled her ovaries. Shortly after her egg-laying finished, aquarists
noticed that her ovaries were outside her body but still attached inside.
The other inhabitants of the tank started nibbling on her, so aquarists
removed her from the tank and performed an emergency ovarectomy, an
operation similar to spaying a dog or cat. The goosefish in now behind the
scenes, recovering quite nicely from her surgery. When she finishes her
course of antibiotics, she will probably go back on exhibit in the
Harrington Gallery on the third level of the Aquarium.

The goosefish (Lophius americanus) is a large bottom-dwelling fish that can
reach up to six feet in length. They are native to the North Atlantic.
Goosefish, also called monkfish and angler fish, attract prey with a funny
modified dorsal fin that acts as a fishing lure. They are not picky eaters,
and have been known to gobble up sea turtles and birds along with their
steady diets of fish and invertebrates. Some people describe the goosefish
as mostly mouth with a tail attached. Goosefish are known to eat prey
almost as large as themselves. Fishermen report that a goosefish caught in
a trawl comes up with a full belly, having gorged on its fellow captives.

They are, as fish go, pretty ugly. Their off-putting outward appearance may
have protected them from hungry fisherfolk for years - until recently, that
is, when Americans have discovered that their tail flesh is rather tasty.
With the collapse of other groundfish stocks in New England waters,
goosefish have become a more popular food fish, to the point that the
stocks are now considered "overfished" in our area.

Droplet: Julia Child once devoted an entire program to cooking an enormous
goosefish.

----- A MORNING IN NEW ENGLAND'S AFRICA -----------------------------------
By Rachel Van Houten, Boston Safari Guide

The tops of the city's skyscrapers disappear into rain-heavy clouds. The
Doc Edgerton and the Voyager III are both docked quietly on Central Wharf.
The ticket booth has no ticket-sellers inside; the plaza is devoid of
visitors. It's not quite 8:00 a.m.

I step into our newest exhibit to see if Kate Banks, an aquarist who takes
care of the animals, has arrived yet. Despite the gloom outside, the
exhibit is bright, warm and humid - a nice change of pace from outside. The
crocodile imitates a log and seems hopeful that a gazelle might just happen
by and take a drink.

Once Kate arrives, we start the morning routine. We check each tank looking
for potential problems. We look in the crocodile, python, cichlid, spider,
lungfish and Nile perch tanks. An overflow screen is clogged in the
wetlands display so Kate takes it out and rinses it off. Then Kate opens a
door that I hadn't previously even noticed and disappears behind a huge
round tank. There isn't a lot of room behind the scenes, but the aquarists
navigate around their space like astronauts in a space shuttle, checking
gauges, adjusting valves. Indeed, all this equipment is high-tech fish,
bird and reptile life support.

Mike Callahan, a fellow aquarist, is busy cleaning the weaver bird exhibit.
One male is building a large nest, but competition is fierce since there is
only one female in the group and the other males may try to dismantle his
hard work an draw attention to their own. Weaver birds are born with the
ability to weave nests, and can do it even if raised away from other weaver
birds. But their skills apparently improve with practice and exposure to
the techniques of other birds.

Next on the morning's agenda - a filter change and a spider search. After a
bunch of unbolting and bolting, the filter change is complete, and gives me
new appreciation for what it takes to maintain these huge tanks. Next, Kate
crawls into the wetland exhibit, looking for one of the spiders that has
moved in the night. It hasn't escaped; it's just hiding in the tall brown
grass that is perfect camouflage for a yellowish spider with long,
grass-like legs. Another aquarist walks by and jokes "What animal is that?"
and points to Kate. She rolls her eyes. Ha ha.

Mike has finished up with the weaver birds and is feeding the cichlids in
the crocodile tank. Their food looks suspiciously like chow mein noodles to
me. Apparently not. A fish food called "doromin," Kate and Mike tell me.
For some reason, I'm getting very hungry. I thank the aquarists and head
back to my desk where I am the Aquarium's promotions assistant. Even though
my office is across several confusing lanes of Central Artery construction,
I like to visit the main Aquarium building often to say hello to my
friends, to gain inspiration from the animals and to pretend that I am in a
warm land surrounded by unfamiliar smells and sights and customs. It's a
vacation without flying, delays, stop-overs, hotels or buses. Definitely
worth the trip.

Droplet: Your spell-checker, like mine, has probably never heard of an
aquarist, the people so instrumental to the daily care and maintenance of
all the New England Aquarium's displays. They juggle exhibit opening
deadlines, care of animals in "holding" (animals in quarantine or awaiting
their turn to be placed in an exhibit) and on display, collect animals in
local and far-off regions, maintain complicated equipment and supervise
volunteers and interns, for a start.

----- EXTRA BITS ----------------------------------------------------------
A short round-up of interesting water-related things that cross my desk

ATOLL ORDER
Megabucks winners, take note: The Nature Conservancy is trying to raise
money to buy the Palmyra Atoll, a privately-owned cluster of coral islands
practically untouched by human hands about 1,000 miles southwest of Hawaii.
Palmyra may be the healthiest, most biologically diverse, most pristine
ecosystem left in the U.S. The Nature Conservancy is raising $37 million to
buy the atoll, which consists of 52 islands, 15,512 acres of coral reefs
and one airstrip. The only inhabitants are millions of seabirds, including
the second largest colony of red-footed boobies in the world. The atoll
also boasts more than 130 species of hard corals, five times more than the
Florida Keys. The Fullard-Leo family of Honolulu, who own the atoll, were
apparently also approached by the U.S. government (what a great place for
nuclear waste, they thought) and Bill Gates, but both lost out to the
conservation organization, which is buying the atoll for about $10 million
under the "market value." Where do you get comps for an atoll???

TUNA GOES TO COURT
The April 11, 2000 lower court ruling that prevented the federal government
from changing the definition of "dolphin-safe" on cans of tuna will be
appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (San
Francisco). The current definition: no dolphins can be chased, circled or
caught when the fishermen catch the tuna. The proposed definition: no
dolphins can be KILLED in the process. Arguments rage back and forth on how
harmful chasing dolphins is, and what the toll of "dolphin-safe" tuna is on
the rest of the marine life in the ocean.

SONIC BOOM GOES BUST
The Navy asserts that the March 2000 stranding of 17 whales and dolphins
the Bahamas had absolutely nothing to do with military exercises in the
area at the same time involving a sea test of submarine detection sonar
(LWAD 00-1). In the stranding, five whales died and two had bleeding eyes,
which is an indication of acute shock trauma according to Kathy Wang of the
National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS). The Bahamas usually see one or
two whale strandings per year. After a 30-day investigation, the Navy
reiterated its first statement that the strandings were merely
coincidental. Yet, the Navy called off its Littoral Warfare Advanced
Development (LWAD 00-2) Sea Test scheduled to begin this week off the New
Jersey coast.

Submarine detection tests use high intensity broadcasts of around 200
decibels (about twice as loud as a jackhammer). Many marine mammal experts
believe that the LWAD tests disrupt the navigation and feeding of dolphins
and whales, can cause them intense pain, and may even cause them to beach
themselves to avoid the sounds.

The Navy's decision to call off the testing was probably influenced by two
things. First, a Hawaiian lawsuit challenging their Environmental Impact
Statement (EIS) for their low frequency active sonar system was filed
recently. The EIS apparently doesn't mention either the Bahamas incidents
or the history of whale and dolphin strandings now associated with low
frequency active sonar in the Mediterranean in 1996. A hearing is scheduled
for June 13. Second, NMFS told the Navy on May 5 that NMFS didn't agree
with its determination that their action was "not likely to affect species"
under NMFS jurisdiction. NMFS requested that the Navy postpone the
operation.

***** OUT ON THE NET ************************************************
For additional information, you might want to check out the following
websites. Some of these links represent partners in aquatic conservation
and animal husbandry; others are simply resources we think may help you
enrich your perspective on our watery world. By listing these websites, the
New England Aquarium is not automatically endorsing or verifying the
accuracy of their content unless explicitly stated.

Florida Keys Fish Rodeo
<http://www.qualitymarineusa.com/doc/fish/fish/Batfish/1402.htm>
<http://mbgnet.mobot.org/salt/animals/batfish.htm>
<http://www.sanctuaries.nos.noaa.gov/oms/omsflorida/omsflorida.html/>
<http://ecology.about.com/science/ecology/library/specie/blbiobkgd.htm>
<http://www.reef.org/>

Goosefish
<http://www.njscuba.com/Eco/Slideshow/goosefish.html/>
<http://gopher.wh.whoi.edu/sos/spsyn/og/goose.html/>

New England's Africa
<http://www.neaq.org/Nyanjatour/index.html/>

Palmyra Atoll
<http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2000/05/04/f-p1s2.shtml/>
<http://www.allearth.com/Demos_AllEarthPIB/factbook/lq.html/>

***** ANNOUNCEMENTS ***************************************
This month's announcements
  1) Constrictor Contest
  2) New England Aquarium Exploration Center in Newport Opens
  3) Tall Ships are Coming
  4) Ecology and Evolution in Aquatic Systems Course
  5) Pew Fellows Program in Marine Conservation

----- CONSTRICTOR CONTEST ------------------------------------------------
Name those pythons! Our three new residents, African rock pythons, are,
sadly, nameless at the moment. They are a male (8 feet) and 2 females (12
and 14 feet). To enter the contest, send your suggestions for names to me,
Jen Goebel, Seabits Editor, at <jgoebel@neaq.org>. Preference will be given
to a trio of names, but names for individual snakes will also be accepted -
however, the first person to suggest "Monty" gets lashed with a wet noodle.
This contest is open to Seabits readers, New England Aquarium members and
visitors, but not to New England Aquarium staff, interns, volunteers or
former webmasters. Closing date for entries is July 1.

We will announce a winner in the August issue. The winner can choose
between these prizes: a large plush python thanks to our gift shop (which
also has lots of other cool plush Nyanja animals, by the way, including
tarantulas, crocs and chameleons) or a wonderful whale watch for two out to
Stellwagen Bank to see the great whales in their natural habitat. The
runner-up will receive the other prize. Questions? E-mail me. Thanks to all
of you who submitted entries. I'll keep you posted on how things go.

----- NEW ENGLAND AQUARIUM EXPLORATION CENTER IN NEWPORT OPENS ----------
The New England Aquarium opened our "branch office" in Newport, Rhode
Island over Memorial Day weekend. Just steps away from the inviting sand
and sparkling water of Easton's Beach, the lower level of the Easton's
Beach rotunda is now crawling with, well, crawling things - tube-footed sea
stars, gregarious hermit crabs, shy clams, tiny periwinkles and more. In
addition to hands-on exploration of tidepool creatures, the Exploration
Center offers a series of exhibits on marine animals and habitats, focusing
mostly on animals that live in Narragansett Bay.

In cooperation with Save the Bay and University of Rhode Island Sea Grant,
the Newport Exploration Center offers guided walks on the beach, lots of
conservation-related activities for kids, a lecture series (see
<http://www.neaq.org/special/newport/index.html> for offerings), and a
wealth of information on the local habitat. The Exploration Center provides
a place for kids to learn about the importance of the environment they
enjoy and how to protect the beaches and nearby Narragansett Bay. Our goal
in opening up this beachfront aquarium is to teach kids about the nature
they are enjoying and raise their awareness of the natural world while they
are in it! For more information, visit our website or call Bonnie Epstein
at (401) 849-8430.

----- TALL SHIPS ARE COMING ----------------------------------------------
The Tall Ships are back in town from July 11-16, and we invite you on
special cruises to get a good look at these beauties.

Tuesday, July 11 - PARADE OF SAILS, 7:30 a.m -4:30 p.m.
Voyager III $175 per person, includes DJ/buffet
Voyager II $150 per person, includes music/food
Doc Edgerton $100 per person, includes box lunch

Wednesday July 12 - Saturday, July 15 - DAILY HARBOR CRUISES
Join us aboard the Voyager III or Doc Edgerton to get a closer look at the
Tall Ships. For schedule and pricing information, please call (617)
973-5281 or visit <http://www.neaq.org/special/tallships/index.html/>.

Sunday, July 16 - DEPARTING PARADE, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Join us for the departing parade and a last glimpse of the Tall Ships.$50
per person.

(Note: both New England Aquarium Members' Cruises are sold out.)

----- ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTION IN AQUATIC SYSTEMS COURSE --------------------
From Sunday July 23 to Saturday, July 29, the Marine Studies Consortium is
offering a 3-graduate credit (45 Professional Development Points) course
through Pine Manor College in Chestnut Hill, MA. The course runs from 8
a.m. - 8 p.m. each day and includes field trips, meals and breaks. Typical
days include collections and observations in the field followed by
experimental design and microscope work in the lab. Field sites include
pond, stream/river and salt marsh. One day will be spent at the Marine
Science Center sampling Nahant Bay from the R/V Mysis, exploring tidepools
and examining the local fish collection. Another day will be spent at the
New England Aquarium to view our regional plant and animal collections from
both an ecological and evolutionary perspective. Transportation and some
meals are included. Participants are asked to prepare a classroom project
or other interpretive activity based on course concepts. Projects will be
presented, evaluated and distributed to all participants. Prerequisites
include a college degree and a strong interest in marine and environmental
science. Class size is limited to 24. On-campus residence is strongly
encouraged.

Instructors include Rae Barnhisel, Ph.D., an aquatic ecologist and
evolutionist, Ricki Carfagno, M.Ed., a science specialist, Joel Rubin, New
England Aquarium Teacher Resource Center coordinator and scheduled guest
lecturers.

Contact Dr. Elizabeth Gardner, Pine Manor College, Chestnut Hill, MA,
02467. Phone: (617) 731-7094 or e-mail <gardnerb@pmc.edu> for more
information or an application. Deadline for applications is Monday, July
10, 2000. Cost is $900.

----- PEW FELLOWS PROGRAM IN MARINE CONSERVATION --------------------------
The Pew Fellows Program in Marine Conservation is proud to announce the
2000 Fellows and their research initiatives. The Pew Fellowships are highly
competitive awards targeted primarily to mid-career professionals working
in marine ecosystem conservation, fisheries management, marine
contamination and coastal conservation. Fellows receive an award of
$150,000 to carry out an innovative, interdisciplinary project that
addresses an urgent conservation challenge facing our seas. The year 2000
fellows and their projects are listed below:

Rodrigo H. Bustamante, Charles Darwin Research Station, Galapagos, Ecuador.
Evaluate and assess rate of recovery of depleted marine species in the
Galapagos Marine Reserve.
Rodney M. Fujita, Environmental Defense Fund, California. Identify emerging
marine conservation challenges and potential solutions.
Stephen J. Hall, Flinders University of South Australia, Australia. Expand
fisheries environmental performance measures from target stocks to include
bycatch species for a comprehensive ecosystem-based framework for fisheries
management.
Jean M. Harris, KwaZulu-Natal Nature Conservation Service, South Africa.
Address marine species depletions caused by intensive subsistence
harvesting along the rocky shores of the east coast of South Africa.
Jose M. Orensanz, CONICET, Argentina. Develop a protocol for interaction
among fishermen, scientists and resource managers that promotes
co-management.
Ellen K. Pikitch, Wildlife Conservation Society, New York. Develop a
"seascape" fisheries approach that promotes cost-effective, sustainable,
multi-species management.
James A. Powell, Florida Marine Research Institute, Florida. Improve
coastal habitat protection in countries with important manatee populations.
Marc Reisner, Institute for Fisheries Resources, California, U.S. Address
Pacific salmon restoration efforts through research, writing, public
speaking, outreach and negotiations regarding dam removal from salmon runs.
Callum M. Roberts, University of York, U.K. Address the role of marine
reserves in supporting increased fishery yield.
Amanda Vincent, McGill University, Quebec, Canada. Explore and document the
ecological and socio-economic impacts of extraordinary fisheries and
advocate for appropriate conservation and management measures to mitigate
damage to wild populations.

For more information on the Pew Fellows Program in Marine Conservation,
visit <http://www.pewmarine.org/>.

***** JUNE CALENDAR ****************************************
Saturday, June 3 and Sunday, June 4, If I Were as Big as a Whale...
Preschool Explorers Class, 9:30 a.m. Recommended for ages 3 to 5. This
program combines a story, a hands-on activity, and a take-home art project
or closer look at live animals. Call (617) 973-5206 for reservations, fees
and information.

Sunday, June 4: Realm of the Reptile, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Join us for a special day devoted to our reptilian friends. Help choose a
name for our Nyanja crocodile. Mix 98.5 FM will be on hand for the
festivities. The New England Reptile Distributors will do hour-long
presentations on more than 30 kinds of reptiles, including the second
largest lizard in the world, the water monitor. Enjoy a day of arts and
crafts, temporary tattoos and other reptile related activities. Included
with admission.

Monday, June 5 - Friday, June 9, Water Transportation Week
Visit <http://www.massferryroutes.com> for a full schedule of water
transportation events. There will be special giveaways, contests and free
service on certain vessels.

Friday, June 9 - Sunday, June 11, Biodiversity Days
Take part in the nation's first citizen Biodiversity Days, an event that
invites us to explore the diversity of life in our own towns and backyards.
Towns around Massachusetts are organizing special field trips to help
residents learn about, identify and appreciate their local biodiversity.
For more information, check out the Biodiversity Days website at
<http://data.massgis.com/Biodiversity/>.

Friday, June 9, Traveling Tidepool at the Bulldogs
Join the Bulldogs soccer team and the New England Aquarium's own mascot,
Sammy the Seal for some tidepool fun at the game. For more information,
call Rachel at (617) 973-6508 or e-mail <rvanhouten@neaq.org>.

Saturday, June 10, Traveling Tidepool, 12 noon -4 p.m.
The New England Aquarium traveling tidepool with be at the Special Olympics
at MIT. For more information, call Rachel at (617) 973-6508 or e-mail
<rvanhouten@neaq.org>.

Saturday, June 10, East Boston Family Field Trip, 10 a.m.
Spend a few hours with Aquarium educators in Belle Isle Marsh exploring
habitats and raising your awareness about environmental issues in this
area. Learn how to identify aquatic or marine life and see how animals have
adapted to live in their watery world. Call (617) 973-5206 for
reservations, fees and information.

Saturday, June 10 - Friday, June 23, Water and Wildlife African Safari,
Kenya, East Africa. To complement our new exhibit, Nyanja: Africa's Inland
Sea (opened April 15, 2000), Aquarium staff have created a unique aquatic
and terrestrial African safari highlighting our research in East Africa.
The trip begins in Nairobi, Kenya, where we will tour the National Museums
of Kenya with our African colleagues. Then, we will visit the world famous
game parks of Samburu in northern Kenya, and Maasai Mara, bordering
Tanzania on the Serengeti. These game parks are home to elephants, vervet
monkeys, giraffes, zebras, oryxes, dik diks, rhinos, hippos, buffalo and
crocodiles, to name a few. The aquatic portion of the safari takes us to
the beautiful lakes of the Rift Valley, ringed by lesser and greater
flamingoes and home to a tremendous variety of mammals and birds, and Lake
Victoria. We also offer an optional five-day trip to Tanzania after the
Kenyan safari. Tanzania trip: June 23-28, 2000. Cost: $4,595, includes
round trip airfare from Boston. Tanzania trip, add $1,595. For more
information or to register, e-mail <jrankin@neaq.org>.

Wednesday, June 14, Java Jive Concert, 6-8 p.m.
Join us for the Java Jive concert in Belmont's Payson Park, a part of the
10th annual Payson Park Music Festival. Our traveling tidepool will be on
hand, and kids can dress up like their favorite seashore creatures with
help from Aquarium educators. For more information, call Tomi Olsen at
(617) 489-2828.

Saturday, June 17 and Sunday, June 18, If I Were as Big as a Whale...
Preschool Explorers Class, 9:30 a.m. Recommended for ages 3 to 5. This
program combines a story, a hands-on activity, and a take-home art project
or closer look at live animals. Call (617) 973-5206 for reservations, fees
and information.

Sunday, June 18, Father's Day Harbor Tour, 11 a.m.
Take Dad out on the water for the day! This special Father's Day harbor
tour lasts for an hour and a half. For information, rates and reservations,
please call (617) 973-5281.

Wednesday, June 21, Dive Club Meeting, 6:30 p.m.
Guests and new members always welcome. Call (617) 973-0240 for details or
visit the website at <http://www.neadc.org>. Meeting Location: Conference
Center.

Saturday, June 24, Marblehead Seashore Family Field Trip, 10 a.m.
Spend a few hours with Aquarium educators in Chandler Hovey exploring
habitats and raising your awareness about environmental issues in this
area. Learn how to identify aquatic or marine life and see how animals have
adapted to live in their watery world. Call (617) 973-5206 for
reservations, fees and information.

Saturday, June 24, The Great Fish Project Parade, 11 a.m.
The New England Aquarium and the Museum of the National Center of
Afro-American Artists in Roxbury are working together in celebration of
Nyanja! Africa's Inland Sea, the Aquarium's newest exhibit. In a program
called THE GREAT FISH PROJECT, East African exhibit themes will make their
way into the community through a fun public art activity that involves
hundreds of Boston-area youth. Four professional public artists have
established residencies at local community-based organizations. The
culmination is the creation of four giant fish sculptures, each measuring
about 15 feet long. Join us for the Saturday morning parade Boston's
Faneuil Hall to the Aquarium.

Sunday, June 25, Quincy Blues Festival, 12 noon - 7 p.m.
The New England Aquarium's traveling tidepool will be at Veterans Memorial
Stadium in Quincy for the Quincy Blues Festival. This all-day family
festival includes blues bands, photography and art shows and a
multicultural food bazaar. New England Aquarium members get $5 off
admission. Adult admission is $15; Children 6-16 admission is $2. For more
information, call (617) 786-7617.

Wednesday, June 28, Wellesley Concert, 6-8 p.m.
As part of "Picnic in the Park" at Wellesley Center, Judy Pancoast will be
providing entertainment for children. There will also be hayrides, a
moonbounce, and our traveling tidepool. For more information, call Jack
Hutchinson at (781) 235-2370.

Thursday, June 29: Harborfest Children's Festival, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Our traveling tidepool will be at City Hall Plaza for the Children's
Festival, as part of Boston's week-long Fourth of July celebration. There
are many free tours, lectures, exhibits and activities for families as part
of the celebration. See <http://www.bostonharborfest.com> for a full
schedule of the week's activities.

OR send e-mail to <macjordomo@neaq.org>. In the body of your email message
write "subscribe seabits" (without the quotes).

of your email message write "unsubscribe seabits" (without the quotes).

Questions and comments? Contact Jennifer Goebel at
<jgoebel@neaq.org>.

Lots going on here, as you see. Hope you'll come and enjoy - and if you see
anything cool on your visit like a goosefish laying eggs, I love to hear
about that stuff.
-- Jen Goebel, Editor.