IN DEFENCE OF THE WHALES,
THE CHIEFLY PEOPLES OF THE OCEAN WORLD !
THE BATTLE AT THE FAROES HAS STARTED
THE TIME TO TALK IS OVER
SEA SHEPHERD ACTIYVISTS RELEASED FROM JAIL
PILOT WHALES APPROACH
SEA SHEPHERD INTERNATIONAL
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 13, 2000
SEA SHEPHERD ACTIVIST RELEASED FROM JAIL
- Pilot whales nearing Faroe Islands
Frank Trinkle, jailed by the Faroese police on July 10 during Sea
Shepherd International's campaign against the Faroe Islands' pilot whale
slaughter, arrived in Amsterdam today after electing not to complete the
expulsion order of the Faroes home rule government.
Trinkle and two other crewmembers of the Sea Shepherd conservation
vessel Ocean Warrior were arrested when they stepped from an inflatable
raft onto the dock at Torshavn, capital of the Faroe Islands. All had
received a formal "refusal of entry" from the Faroese on the grounds
that they might commit a crime if allowed into the country.
A former Green Beret medic and helicopter pilot, Trinkle was ordered
deported to the U.S. via Copenhagen and Germany, but switched planes in
Copenhagen and instead flew to Amsterdam, where he held a press
conference this morning.
"In Torshavn, I got word that pilot whales have been seen gathering a
miles off the Faroes," said Trinkle. "The 'grind hunts' are expected to
begin within a week."
Sea Shepherd International's GrindStop 2000 campaign is an action
against the tradition of mass torture and slaughter of pilot whales and
dolphins in the Faroes.
The Ocean Warrior is presently taking on fuel and supplies in the
Islands, UK, to the southeast of the Faroes. Sea Shepherd is not
disclosing details regarding future plans.
"We would like to acknowledge the people of Denmark, Sweden and Norway
for their tremendous support," said Ocean Warrior Captain Paul Watson.
"They have been largely ignoring the bias of their national media and
are letting us know that they consider the drive hunts barbaric and want
them to stop. One woman from Norway told us she cancelled her
subscription to her local newspaper when they called us 'criminals' and
she is now donating her subscription fees to us."
Sea Shepherd International was founded in 1977 as a citizens' action
group that takes direct action to defend marine wildlife against illegal
exploitative destruction and enforce the international conservation
that are designed to protect marine species but are ineffective due to
political loopholes or lack of enforcement.
IN DEFENCE OF THE WHALES,
THE CHIEFLY PEOPLES OF THE OCEAN WORLD !
LATEST UPDATE OF THE TARGET LIST
- please distribute as wide as possible!
Support THE GOOD, isolate THE BAD and
FIGHT THE UGLY:
THE TARGET LIST:
THE TOTAL UGLY:
- JAPAN (Shame, Shame, Shame on you!)
- The PR company SHANDWICK (aka Shame'nd Wicked)
- NORWAY (Realize that you are just obsessed!)
- THE FAROE ISLANDS (You will see it, NOW!)
Block them, fight them - wherever you find them!
- DENMARK Government (STOP protecting killing in your protectorate!)
- The HIGH NORTH ALLIANCE (from Canada, the Faroe
Islands, Greenland, Iceland and Norway)
- RUSSIA (and all Soviet Whalers - Stop the sellout!)
- St. VINCENT & THE GRENADINES (STOP illegal whaling!)
- DOMINICA (stand up against Japanese aid threats !)
- ST. KITTS
- St. LUCIA
We call for the widest possible sanctions against these countries and
the withrawal of any
preferential trade agreement. We call for a total consumer boycott
concerning all products and
services of these countries including a TOTAL tourism boycott.
We call for the total isolation of these countries, to ban these
countries from any international
meeting and the total stop from any financial aid or support deriving
contributions, multilateral agreements or private sources to these
- NETHERLANDS (The people with some of the worst
environmental track records on earth - at home as well as in their
former colonies - and now push for commercial whaling again!)
- World Wildlife Fund (nobody trusts your diplo-words anymore!)
- IUCN / WCMC / UNEP (the smokescreen-providers!)
- IWC (secretly the whale butcher's society)
- CITES (the trade-regulators for all the wildlife butchers)
- KOREA (don't be such wimps - your vessels are poaching
- ITALY (do not go for a pee during voting and stop bartertrading
guns for fish or votes! That's known - so you do not need
protection from whalers!)
- SWEDEN (close your borders with Norway, whose citizen might
be contaminated by toxic whale-blubber!)
- SWITZERLAND (lots of whales in those mountains? or are
you afraid of your bank-accounts held by the Japanese
STOP BUYING FROM THEM (goods or ideas)!
STOP ANY FUNDING deriving from taxpayers money or private support.
BOYCOTT any tourism to these destinations.
IMPROVE or LEAVE IWC:
- IRELAND (are you guys loosing your spirit? - resigning from a
top slot is not enough!))
- OMAN (You are a conservationist Sultan Quabus, so why not your
representatives? re: The Holy Quoran: DON'T DO MISCHIEF!)
- SOLOMON ISLANDS (o.k. you got other problems this time
around, but make sure your vote - hopefully as an authority of
the indigenous people of the Solomons - is counted next time
FOR a whaling ban!)
- Sea Sheapherd International (Let's all go and support them out there!)
- New Zealand (BRAVO: Honorable Mrs. Sandra Lee)
- Greenpeace Intl. (Congratulations on your strong stand at IWC)
- International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)
- ECOTERRA Intl.
- AgA International
- The Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society
- International Cetacean Education Research Centre
- International Marine Mammal Project of Earth Island
- All Countries supporting the whaling ban and the Whale Sanctuaries
(specifically Brazil, Argentina and India who resisted Japan (ese
(and Britain and the United States, which MUST now follow up with
trade related sanctions against the UGLY and STOP LFAS).
- Australia (though it still can improve a lot in other sectors)
- German food distribution giant ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co (who cancelled
all purchase contracts from the Faroes - 1,250 stores said NO!).
- All the other 20,000 retailers (REWE, EDEKA, TENGELMANN, who
cancelled contracts with the Faroes and/or Danmark in protest against
Faroe whale massacres.
- The majority PEOPLE of Denmark, Sweden and Norway - not their
governments or crazy whalers.
WE CALL FOR ACTIVE GLOBAL DEFENCE
AGAINST ANY WHALER!
Visit Eco.online, a web site created by non-governmental organizations
to cover the Adelaide IWC meetings.
Go to: STOP WHALING NOW! and protest against Japan
and go to the GREENPEACE PROTEST PAGE to express your outrage on the
wimpy stand of Ireland and some who went for Japenese money rather than
for real peoples values!
Interested to "meet" the Japanese Whalers with a "hit"?
Or to bring the "high" HIGH-NORTH-ALLIANCE down ?
To receive the final summary on IWC 2000 and other information on how to
stop whaling please write to <WILD_SEAS.firstname.lastname@example.org
ECOTERRA - FIRST PEOPLES & NATURE FIRST !
SURVIVAL & FREEDOM for PEOPLE & NATURE
check it out at: <http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Sat Aug 04 2001 - 10:40:16 EDT