IN DEFENCE OF THE WHALES,
THE CHIEFLY PEOPLES OF THE OCEAN WORLD !
36 PILOT WHALES KILLED !
THE BATTLE AT THE FAROES HAS STARTED
NO MORE TIME TO TALK - TIME FOR ACTION!
OCEAN WARRIOR DELAYED BY DANMARK
UPDATE (and updated target list - see at the end of todays news)
- please distribute as wide as possible!
SEA SHEPHERD INTERNATIONAL
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 19, 2000
DENMARK DELAYS OCEAN WARRIOR, KILLS 36 WHALES
- "Your papers are in order, but..."
Applying pressure on the Cayman Islands Registry of Sea Shepherd
International's flagship Ocean Warrior, the Danish government succeeded
in keeping the whale protection vessel in port in the Shetlands
yesterday while fishermen killed 36 pilot whales in the Faroe Islands,
an administrative division of Denmark.
Late on July 13, Cayman Islands Registry sent an urgent inquiry to the
shipping agent for Ocean Warrior concerning "allegations" that the
private-use registered vessel is engaged in commercial operations, that
was carrying crew and passengers in excess of a registered limit, and
there were inadequate living quarters and life rafts on board.When
reached on board ship on July 14, Captain Paul Watson pointed out that
there is in fact no upper limit on crew and passengers in Ocean
Warrior's registry, the crew are volunteer and receive no financial
remuneration for their efforts, the ship's activities are not
commercial, on-board accommodations have been constructed for all
persons on board, and the Ocean Warrior's life rafts can accommodate
more than twice the maximum number of persons who have been on board in
the course of the Faroe Islands campaign thus far.
On July 19, a sudden "routine" inspection required that a British
inspector be flown from London to Ocean Warrior's dock in the Shetland
Islands. After the inspection, Captain Watson was told that everything
in order, but that he must sign a statement acknowledging that he had
been served an order by Faroese police "prohibiting entry of both myself
and the Vessel into the territory of the Faroe Islands" and would abide
by that order. (The order was issued last week after Captain Watson
piloted the Ocean Warrior to a location directed by Faroese Customs
officials in order to receive customs clearance, and, after receiving
clearance, was told by Faroese police that he had committed a violation
by having entered Faroese waters.)
Captain Watson has refused to sign the statement.
Sea Shepherd trusts that Cayman Islands Registry will pursue any legal
means available against those responsible for making false allegations
concerning Ocean Warrior's registry. We regret that Cayman Islands
authorities were forced to go to needless trouble and expense in
verifying that the allegations were false, and we will be happy to
assist them in seeking satisfaction against the guilty party.
"Denmark's tactic was undeniably effective in that it allowed the
Faroese to slaughter whales, and allowed Denmark to maintain plausible
deniability as to their involvement," said Watson. "But by employing
this tactic, Denmark has aided in the direct killing of pilot whales,
and is thus in violation of the Berne Convention and the Bonn Convention
protecting European wildlife to which they are party. Accordingly, we
will be expanding the ongoing boycott of Faroes seafood to include
Danish fish and seafood products."
As a Party to the Berne Convention on the Conservation of European
Wildlife and Natural Habitats, Denmark is required to "take appropriate
and necessary legislative and administrative measures to ensure the
special protection" of the long-finned pilot whale as a species of
"strictly protected fauna."
Under Article VI, "all forms of deliberate capture and keeping and
deliberate killing" in particular are prohibited.
The Bonn Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild
Animals lists the pilot whale as among "migratory species which have an
unfavourable conservation status and which require international
agreements for their conservation and management." As a Party to the
Convention, Denmark is required to "enforce legislation that prohibits
the intentional taking and killing of small cetaceans" and, "at a
minimum, prohibit, in relation to a migratory species of the Order
Cetacea, any taking that is not permitted for that migratory species
under any other multilateral Agreement."
Support THE GOOD, isolate THE BAD and
FIGHT THE UGLY:
Visit Eco.online, http://www.eco-online.conf.au a web site created by
non-governmental organizations to cover the Adelaide IWC meetings.
http://www.helpwhales.com explains (1) how you can send emails and
faxes to support a whale sanctuary, and (2) how you can sign a petition
for a global whale sanctuary.
Go to: http://www.stopwhalingnow.com and protest against Japan and to
to express your outrage on the wimpy stand of Ireland and some who went
for Japenese money rather then for real peoples values!
Interested to "meet" the Japanese Whalers with a "hit"?
Go to: http://www.jp-whaling-assn.com/index_eng.htm
Or to bring the "high" HIGH-NORTH-ALLIANCE down ?
Go to: http://www.highnorth.no/
THE TARGET LIST OF SHAME! (regularly updated):
THE TOTAL UGLY:
- JAPAN (Shame, Shame, Shame on you!)
- The PR company SHANDWICK (aka Shame'nd Wicked)
- NORWAY (Realize that you are just obsessed!
- THE FAROE ISLANDS (You will see it, NOW!)
- DANISH GOVERNMENT (STOP the support to killing in
your "Protectorate" - listen to Danish People!)
Block them, fight them - wherever you find them!
- The HIGH NORTH ALLIANCE (from Canada, the Faroe
Islands, Greenland, Iceland and Norway)
- RUSSIA (and all Soviet Whalers - STOP the sellout!)
- CHINA (you believe you can continue? -just wait!)
- St. VINCENT & GRENADINES (STOP illegal whaling!)
- DOMINICA (the truth is out - your Governm. is corrupt!)
- ANTIGUA (stand up against Japanese aid threats!)
- ST. KITTS
- St. LUCIA
We call for the widest possible sanctions against these countries and
the withrawal of any preferential trade agreement. We call for a total
consumer boycott concerning all products and services of these countries
including a TOTAL tourism boycott.
We call for the total isolation of these countries, to ban these
countries from any international meeting and the total stop from any
financial aid or support deriving from taxpayers
contributions, multilateral agreements or private sources to these
- NETHERLANDS (The people with some of the worst environmental track
records on earth - at home as well as in their former colonies!)
- KOREA (don't be such wimps - your vessels are poaching everywhere)
- ITALY (do not go for a pee during voting and stop bartertrading guns
for fish! That's known - so you do not need protection from whalers!)
- SWEDEN (close your borders with Norway, whose citizen might be
contaminated by toxic whale-blubber!)
- SWITZERLAND (lots of whales in those mountains? or are you afraid of
your bank-accounts held Japanese wheeler-dealers?)
- IRELAND (are you guys loosing your spirit?)
- All other Countries, who do not stop the others to kill whales!
- World Wildlife Fund (nobody trusts your diplo-words anymore!)
- IUCN / WCMC / UNEP (the smokescreen providers!)
- IWC (secretly the whale butcher's society)
- CITES (the trade-regulators for all the wildlife butchers)
STOP BUYING FROM THEM (goods or ideas)!
STOP ANY FUNDING deriving from taxpayers money or private support.
BOYCOTT any tourism to these destinations.
IMPROVE or LEAVE IWC:
- OMAN (You are a conservationist Sultan Quabus, so why not your
representatives? re: The Holy Quoran: DON'T DO MISCHIEF!)
- SOLOMON ISLANDS (o.k. you got other problems this time around, but
make sure your vote - hopefully as an authority of the indigenous people
of the Solomons - is counted next time FOR a whaling ban!)
- New Zealand (BRAVO: Honorable Mrs. Sandra Lee)
- Sea Sheapherd International (go and get'em)
- Greenpeace Intl. (congratulations on your strong stand)
- International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)
- ECOTERRA Intl.
- AgA International
- The Ocean Mammal Institute
- The Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society
- International Cetacean Education Research Centre
- International Marine Mammal Project of Earth Island
- All Countries supporting the whaling ban and the Whale Sanctuaries
(specifically Brazil, Argentina and India who resisted Japan (ese
(and Britain and the United States, which MUST now follow up with
trade related sanctions against the UGLY).
- Australia (though it still can improve a lot in other sectors)
- German food distribution giant ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co (who cancelled
all purchase contracts from the Faroes - 1,250 stores said NO!).
- All the other 20,000 retailers (REWE, EDEKA, TENGELMANN, who
cancelled contracts with the Faroes and/or Danmark in protest against
the Faroe whale massacres.
- The majority PEOPLE of Denmark, Sweden and Norway - but not their
governments or crazy whalers.
WE CALL FOR ACTIVE GLOBAL DEFENCE
AGAINST ANY WHALER - AND NOW!
ECOTERRA - FIRST PEOPLES & NATURE FIRST !
SURVIVAL & FREEDOM for PEOPLE & NATURE
Feel free to subscribe any or all of our mailing lists:
WILD_PEOPLES (Defending natural rights of traditional tribal peoples)
WILD_LIFE (Protection of species of wild fauna and flora)
WILD_SKYS (Protection of the atmosphere)
WILD_SEAS (Protection of the marine biosphere)
WILD_LANDS (Protection of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems)
WILD_FORESTS (Protection of the natural forests)
WILD_ROAR (ECOTERRA ALERT BULLETIN)
check it out at: <http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html>
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Sat Aug 04 2001 - 10:40:16 EDT