[WILD_SEAS] UNITE TO STOP WHALING NOW!

From: wildnet (wildnet@ecoterra.net)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 16:57:41 EST

- please distribute as wide (supporters and friends) as possible!

IN DEFENCE OF THE WHALES,
THE CHIEFLY PEOPLES OF THE OCEAN WORLD !
NO MORE TIME TO TALK - TIME FOR ACTION!

Today:
1. The whaling situation: A way forward
- see below the call from CAMPAIGN WHALE!

TARGET LIST UPDATE ( - see all at the end of these latest news)
BOYCOTT JAPAN IN TOTAL !!!!
BOYCOTT RUSSIA !
BOYKOTT NORWAY !
STEP UP THE BOYCOTT AGAINST DENMARK !
CONTINUE TO BOYCOTT UNILEVER (Unilever brand names include Gorton's
Seafood, Bird's Eye, Langnese, Lipton's Tea, OMO washing powder, Dove
soap, etc. and Ben & Jerry's ice cream - reportedly contaminated
anyway.)
SLOW DOWN THE BOYCOTT OF THE NETHERLANDS !
(But let us see first more if the "Dutch Connection" ceased.)

What is still missing is the clear view and the clear will to act
together - and everybody, who has it, says:

UNITE TO STOP IT- NOW !

------fwd.msg---------- from CAMPAIGN WHALE !
see also: http://www.cmpaign-whale.clara.net

1. The whaling situation: A way forward

Dear friends,

I am writing with regard to the shocking events at the IWC meeting in
Adelaide. With the obscene rush to finalise the RMS, and the inevitable
consequences for the moratorium, the situation seems set for a straight
swap - the RMS for the Irish Proposals. Exactly what Michael Canny told
me in Adelaide. We face the real prospect of 'regulated' commercial
whaling
and the 'sustainable' slaughter of thousands of whales, with little to
no
chance of ever ending whaling thereafter.

The anti-whaling campaign is in crises as never before. Perhaps
therefore,
it is hardly surprising that we are so divided about the solution to
such a
desperate situation. A minority have taken advantage of this campaign
malaise. They have pursued their objectives, wreaking havoc at the IWC,
in
a self-serving strategy to finalise the RMS and thereby justify a
compromise over whaling. It is a bankrupt strategy that has benefited
no-one but the whalers. Have we really fought for the past twenty-five
years simply to achieve 'regulated' whaling? Will we stand by now and
let
this happen?

We have just ten months to stop the seemingly inevitable, but what can
we
do? The success of the compromise campaign is due to their ability to
set
aside differences and work together with a singularity and clarity of
purpose to achieve the desired goal. We must match them if we are going
avert disaster. The whales deserve nothing less.

Whale summit

Campaign Whale proposes that we organise and convene a 'Whale Summit'
with workshops to explore the way forward on this and a number of other
whale issues. I propose we aim to establish a global 'Whale Alliance'
with
common and co-ordinated priority goals, and with pooled resources to
achieve them.

We must learn from the success of our enemies. We can and must unite
with
common purpose. Many groups seem to have underestimated the political
appeal of the Irish Proposals and have been surprised by the rapidity of

recent events. I sense confusion, uncertainty, even despair that the RMS

juggernaut can or even should be stopped.

What we need most of all right now is hope. Together we can promote a
viable, dynamic and effective counter strategy without abject surrender
the whalers. Campaign Whale is already part of a 'Positive strategy for

the IWC', calling for more environmental research and the preservation
of
the moratorium for at least 50 years. It is a credible alternative
strategy
to the compromise pursued by the 'weak-minded' countries at the IWC.

Just consider for a moment the possibilities of a co-operative approach.

For example, there have been many attempts at an effective economic
boycott of the Faroes. However, these and other boycott campaigns have
been doomed to only limited succes through lack of support and the
commitment to see them through.

But what if a properly resourced coalition made a global priority of
such a
campaign?

Of course, it is not a particularly new idea to form a coalition, and
there
are lots of inherent problems we have all experienced in the past.
 However, it can be made to work if we have the will to make it so. The

stark reality is that we really don't have anything much left to loose
and
all to gain by pulling together, now, on an unprecedented scale.

Please respond and let me know your thoughts. I will collate all your
different views and put out a follow-up note. Please limit your
but ensure you answer these two questions:

1. Would you be interested in attending a Whale Summit?
2. Are you interested in the idea of a Global Whale Alliance?

Time is against us. I would be grateful if you could respond as soon as
possible, before Friday 27th October if you can.

If you would like to discuss this further or have any questions please
call
me. I can be reached from outside the UK on +44-1323-811688 or within
the UK on 01323 811688

Best wishes

Andy Ottaway

e-mail: Andy Ottaway <campaign-whale@clara.net>

------------end.fwd.msg

Support THE GOOD, isolate THE BAD and
FIGHT THE UGLY:

THE TARGET LIST OF SHAME! (regularly updated):

THE TOTAL UGLY:

- JAPAN (Shame, Shame, Shame on you!)
   http://www.jp-whaling-assn.com/index_eng.htm
- The PR company SHANDWICK (aka Shame'nd Wicked)
   http://www.shandwick.com
- NORWAY (Realize that you are just obsessed!
   http://www.highnorth.no
- THE FAROE ISLANDS (You will see it, NOW!)
- DANISH GOVERNMENT (STOP the support to the killings
  in your? "Protectorate" - listen to the Danish People!)
- RUSSIA (STOP all Soviet Whalers - STOP the nuclear
  garbage and Stop the sellout of your great nation!)

Block them, fight them - wherever you find them!

THE UGLY:
- NETHERLANDS (The people with some of the worst environmental track
records on earth - at home as well as in their former colonies!) NOW
THE DUTCH GOVERNMENT ASKS JAPAN TO STOP, BUT HAS THE DUTCH CONNECTION
ABANDONED THEIR PUSH FOR RENEWED COMMERCIAL WHALING? -
- The HIGH NORTH ALLIANCE (from Canada, the Faroe
    Islands, Greenland, Iceland and Norway)
- CHINA (you believe you can continue? -just wait!)
- St. VINCENT & GRENADINES (STOP illegal whaling!)
- DOMINICA (the truth is out - your Governm. is corrupt!)
- ANTIGUA (stand up against Japanese aid threats!)
- NAMIBIA (Stop killing fur seals and harbouring whalers!)
- BARBUDA
- ST. KITTS
- NEVIS
- St. LUCIA
- GUINEA

We call for the widest possible sanctions against these countries and
the withrawal of any preferential trade agreement. We call for a total
consumer boycott concerning all products and services of these countries
including a TOTAL tourism boycott.
We call for the total isolation of these countries, to ban these
countries from any international meeting and the total stop from any
financial aid or support deriving from taxpayers
contributions, multilateral agreements or private sources to these
countries.

THE BAD:

- IWC (now openly the whale butcher's society)
- CITES (the trade-negotiators for all the wildlife butchers)
- UNILEVER COMPANY (Unilever brand names include i.a. the Gorton's
Seafood (also from the Faroes), Bird's Eye, Langnese, Lipton's Tea, Dove
soap, and Ben & Jerry's ice cream). DONT BUY!
- KOREA (Don't be such wimps - your vessels are poaching everywhere!)
- World Wildlife Fund (nobody trusts your diplo-words anymore!)
- IUCN / WCMC / UNEP (the smokescreen providers!)

The group asking Japan now to stop included representatives of the
Netherlands, New Zealand, Austria, Brazil, Britain, Finland, France,
Germany, Italy, Mexico, Monaco, Sweden, Switzerland and the United
States. Let us applaud them, but let us also not forget so quickly
Adelaide:
- ITALY (do not go for a pee during voting and stop bartertrading guns
for fish! That's known - so you do not need protection from whalers!)
- SWEDEN (close your borders with Norway, whose citizen might be
contaminated by toxic whale-blubber!)
- SWITZERLAND (lots of whales in those mountains - odder?
Or are you afraid of your bank-accounts held Japanese
whaler-wheeler-dealers?)
- IRELAND (are you guys loosing your spirit?)
- All other Countries, who do not stop the others to kill whales!

STOP BUYING FROM THEM (goods or ideas)!
STOP ANY FUNDING deriving from taxpayers money or private support.
BOYCOTT any tourism to the listed destinations.

IMPROVE or LEAVE IWC:
- OMAN (You are a conservationist Sultan Quabus, so why not your
   representatives? - and see: The Holy Quoran: DON'T DO MISCHIEF!)
- SOLOMON ISLANDS (o.k. you got other problems this time around, but
make sure your vote - hopefully as an authority of the indigenous people
of the Solomons - is counted next time FOR a whaling ban!)

SUPPORT:
- New Zealand (BRAVO: Honorable Mrs. Sandra Lee)
- Sea Sheapherd International (Let us go all and get the whalers!)
- Greenpeace Intl. (congratulations on your strong stand)
- Greenpeace Germany
- International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)
- ECOTERRA Intl.
- Campaign Whale
- CitizensConcerns
- Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA)
- AgA International
- The Ocean Mammal Institute
- The Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (WDCS)
- WDCS GERMANY
- Pro Wildlife Germany
- U.S. Citizens Against Whaling
- Japan's Whale and Dolphin Action Network (IKAN)
- International Cetacean Education Research Centre
- International Marine Mammal Project of Earth Island
- All Countries supporting the whaling ban and the Whale Sanctuaries
   (specifically Brazil, Argentina and India who resisted Japan (ese
money).
   - and Britain and the United States, which MUST now follow up with
   trade related sanctions against the UGLY.
- Australia (though it still can improve a lot in other sectors)
- Germany shows has one of the best track records against whaling!
- German food distribution giant ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co (who cancelled
all purchase contracts from the Faroes)
   More than 1,250 stores said NO!.
- All the other 20,000 retailers (REWE, EDEKA, TENGELMANN and now
KARSTADT, who cancelled contracts with the Faroes and/or Danmark in
protest against the Faroe whale massacres.
- The majority PEOPLE of Denmark, Sweden and Norway - but not their
   governments (yet) or crazy whalers.

  Please click the following , WATCH, and LISTEN to
   whale mother and her child's desperate plea :

<http://www.usagainstwhaling.org/whales.htm>

*********************************

WE CALL FOR ACTIVE GLOBAL DEFENCE
AGAINST ANY WHALER - AND NOW!

Visit Eco.online, http://www.eco-online.conf.au a web site created by
non-governmental organizations to cover the last IWC meeting in Adelaide
/ Australia.

http://www.helpwhales.com explains (1) how you can send emails and
faxes to support a whale sanctuary, and (2) how you can sign a petition
for a global whale sanctuary.

Go to: http://www.stopwhalingnow.com and protest against Japan and to
http://zope.greenpeace.org/z/ams/g?a=IWC2&s=Whales2&l=English
to express your outrage on the wimpy stand of Ireland and some who went
for Japenese money rather then for real peoples values!

Interested to "meet" the Japanese Whalers with a "hit"?
Go to: http://www.jp-whaling-assn.com/index_eng.htm

Or to bring the "high" HIGH-NORTH-ALLIANCE down ?
Go to: http://www.highnorth.no/
------------------------
ACTIONS TO TAKE TO STOP JAPANs WHALE & DOLPHIN SLAUGHTER:
Send a fax to Japan Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori:
(0) 81-3-5511-8855

or send him an e-mail from this website:
http://www.iijnet.or.jp/sorifu/kantei/foreign/comment.html

Fax the Embassy of Japan in Washington, DC:
(202) 265-9482

US citizens: Convey your support and thanks to Rep. Bill Delahunt, for
introducing the resolution in the House of Representatives calling on
President Clinton not to support Japan's bid to gain a permanent seat on
the
U.N. Security Council unless it stops whaling. Urge him to add language
opposing Japan's unsustainable dolphin slaughter.
Congressman Bill Delahunt
1317 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-3111
Fax: (202) 225-5658
william.delahunt@mail.house.gov

------------------------

ECOTERRA Intl.
Nairobi Node
http://www.ecoterra.net
http://www.ecoterra.org.uk
http://www.ecoterra.de

ECOTERRA - FIRST PEOPLES & NATURE FIRST !
SURVIVAL & FREEDOM for PEOPLE & NATURE

Feel free to subscribe any or all of our mailing lists:
WILD_PEOPLES (Defending natural rights of traditional tribal peoples)
WILD_LIFE (Protection of species of wild fauna and flora)

WILD_SKY (Protection of the atmosphere)
WILD_SEAS (Protection of the marine biosphere)
WILD_LANDS (Protection of terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems)

WILD_FORESTS (Protection of the natural forests)

WILD_ROAR (ECOTERRA ALERT BULLETIN)

WILD_TIMES_NEWS - the hardcopy for people without internet access
(contributions welcome!)
check it out at: <http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html>