Mostly white humpback whale seen in Niue (fwd)

From: pita admininstrator (pita@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 10:41:45 EST

Subject: Mostly white humpback whale seen in Niue

Hello Marmam,

Last month (October 2-6, 2000) several people on the island
of Niue spotted an unusual humpback whale--mostly white.
It has a dark patch on top of its head, a dark dorsal fin,
and thin dark strip on the ridge behind its dorsal fin. I
was unable to view the tail. The rest, as far as we could
see, is white and from a distance when it surfaces it
appears to be entirely white.

Niue is a small island nation in the South Pacific, east of
Tonga and south of Samoa. I am not sure if the few
humpback whales that migrate here continue on to Tonga or
if Niue is their only destination. Perhaps if this whale
is spotted elsewhere it will clarify their migration
pattern. We certainly will keep an eye out to see if the
whale returns next year.

We on the island are curious to know if anyone has seen
this whale before. Its markings are quite distinctive and
recognizable from a long distance away. You would know
immediately if you had seen it. Is it quite rare to have
markings like this? Any insight that anyone has on Niue's
mostly white whale would be greatly appreciated. Please
email me at Wac@alum.dartmouth.org.

Many thanks,

Wendy Cover

Peace Corps Volunteer