seminal fluid (fwd)

From: mike williamson (williams@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 16:21:42 EST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 23:36:01 -0500
From: Pierre-Henry Fontaine <pfontain@mediom.qc.ca>
To: williams@www1.wheelock.edu
Subject: seminal fluid

Hi,
        I really do not know, all the male whales I had a chance to
necropsy were in to bad a shape for me to examine the base of the penis to
have a look at the prostate gland or seminal vesicles. I have seen movies
of young male sperm whale playing sexual games and ejaculating in the
water, and the mass of the ejaculate was impressive, but they are toothed
whales. The harbour porpoise, which has aproximatively the same way to mate
as the right whale have both of them enormous testicles, and a very very
big prostate gland. But they use their sperm to flush the vagina of the
female with which they copulate to eliminate the sperm of other males, so
they have to produce very large quantity of sperm. I checked in all my
books and nobody mention the quantity of sperm produced by whales sorry to
be of so little help!
                                                regards Fontaine