- please distribute as wide (supporters, friends, local press) as
IN DEFENCE OF THE WHALES,
THE CHIEFLY PEOPLES OF THE OCEAN WORLD !
NO MORE TIME TO TALK - TIME FOR ACTION!
1. Japan rebuffs US, stands firm on whale hunt
TARGET LIST UPDATE ( - see all at the end of these latest news)
BOYCOTT JAPAN IN TOTAL !!!! STOP BUYING OR DRIVING JAPANESE CARS!
BOYCOTT RUSSIA !
BOYKOTT NORWAY !
STEP UP THE BOYCOTT AGAINST DENMARK !
CONTINUE TO BOYCOTT UNILEVER (Unilever brand names include Gorton's
Seafood, Bird's Eye, Langnese, Lipton's Tea, OMO washing powder, Dove
soap, etc. and Ben & Jerry's ice cream - reportedly contaminated
SLOW DOWN THE BOYCOTT CONCERNING THE NETHERLANDS !
(But let us see first more if the "Dutch Connection" ceased.)
What is still missing is the clear view and the clear will to act
together - and everybody, who has it, says:
UNITE TO STOP IT- NOW !
1. Japan rebuffs US, stands firm on whale hunt
JAPAN: January 11, 2001
TOKYO - Japan, the world‘s biggest consumer of whale meat, rebuffed the
United States on Wednesday saying it saw no reason to roll back its
controversial programme to kill hundreds of whales every year.
In a meeting with visiting US Commerce Secretary Norman Mineta, Japan‘s
Agriculture Minister Yoshio Yatsu said Japan‘s „research“ whaling did
not break international law and the United States should not react
emotionally to Japanese whaling.
„The issue must be resolved based on international laws as well as
objective standards... It should not be dealt with emotionally,“ a
Japanese official quoted Yatsu as telling Mineta.
Japan justifies its killing of whales as scientific research.
President Bill Clinton denied Japan future access to fishing rights in
US waters in September in response to Tokyo‘s decision to expand its
whale hunt to include two species protected under US law - Bryde‘s
whales and sperm whales.
At the time, Mineta certified under US law that Japan‘s expanded hunt
undermined international conservation efforts, triggering a 60-day
review process to determine whether to take additional action.
But Clinton said late last month he had decided against imposing new
trade sanctions on Japan for now, but he left the possibility of future
During Wednesday‘s talks with the Japanese agriculture minister, Mineta
said many members of the international community opposed Japan‘s whaling
In a statement issued by the US Commerce Department on Wednesday, Mineta
said the two countries agreed to request the International Whaling
Commission (IWC) Science Committee to convene a workshop on research
The statement said the workshop would critically review both lethal and
non-lethal methods for whale research.
„The United States remains deeply concerned about Japan‘s lethal
research programme,“ Mineta said in the statement.
„We believe this workshop will allow fair and open re-examination of the
methods to better understand whales,“ he added.
CALL ON BUSH
In November, the US Humane Society initiated action to try to keep
Japan‘s whaling practices on the agenda when President-elect George W.
Bush takes office later this month.
The Humane Society said it had asked the United States to certify that
Japan‘s whaling undermined the Convention on International Trade in
Endangered Species, an international agreement that governs trade in
Japanese whaling had been limited to minke whales, believed to be
numerous, until last year, when Tokyo decided to include Bryde‘s and
sperm whales in its programme.
Japan gave up commercial whaling in compliance with an international
moratorium in 1986 but has been carrying out its research whaling since
1987 „to provide necessary data to establish a viable resource
management scheme for whale populations“.
At an IWC meeting in Adelaide in July, Japan and Norway blocked an
attempt to establish an ocean sanctuary to protect whale breeding
grounds in the South Pacific.
Whale meat was an important source of protein in Japan after World War
Two, but it has become a gourmet food over recent decades as prices rose
in line with falling supplies.
Critics say much of the meat from whales killed in research whaling ends
up on restaurant tables and supermarket shelves.
Story by Teruaki Ueno
REUTERS NEWS SERVICE
Support THE GOOD, isolate THE BAD and
FIGHT THE UGLY:
THE TARGET LIST OF SHAME! (regularly updated):
THE TOTAL UGLY:
- JAPAN (Shame, Shame, Shame on you!)
- The PR company SHANDWICK (aka Shame'nd Wicked)
- NORWAY (Realize that you are just obsessed!
- THE FAROE ISLANDS (You will see it, NOW!)
- DANISH GOVERNMENT (STOP the support to the killings
in your(?) "Protectorate" - listen to the Danish People!)
- RUSSIA (STOP all Soviet Whalers - STOP the nuclear garbage
and Stop the sellout of nature in your great nation!)
Block them, fight them - wherever you find them!
- The HIGH NORTH ALLIANCE (from Canada, the Faroe Islands,
Greenland, Iceland and Norway)
- NETHERLANDS (The people with some of the worst environmental track
on earth - at home as well as in their former colonies!) NOW THE
GOVERNMENT ASKS JAPAN TO STOP, BUT HAS THE DUTCH
CONNECTION TRUELY ABANDONED THEIR PUSH FOR RENEWED
COMMERCIAL WHALING? -
- CHINA (You believe you can continue? -just wait!)
- St. VINCENT & GRENADINES (STOP illegal whaling and the longliners!)
- DOMINICA (The truth is out - your Government is corrupt!)
- ANTIGUA (Stand up against Japanese aid threats!)
- NAMIBIA (Stop killing fur seals and harbouring whalers!)
- EQUATORIAL GUINEA (Stop support to whalers and longliners!)
- BELIZE (Stop allowing criminals your "flag of convenience")
- CAMBODIA (Stop allowing criminals your "flag of convenience")
- HONDURAS (Stop allowing criminals your "flag of convenience")
- ST. KITTS
- St. LUCIA
We call for the widest possible sanctions against these countries and
the withrawal of any preferential trade agreement. We call for a total
consumer boycott concerning all products and services of these countries
including a TOTAL tourism boycott.
We call for the total isolation of these countries, to ban these
countries from any international meeting and the total stop from any
financial aid or support deriving from taxpayers
contributions, multilateral agreements or private sources to these
- IWC (now openly the whale butcher's society)
- CITES (the trade-negotiators for all the wildlife butchers)
- UNILEVER COMPANY (Unilever brand names include i.a. the Gorton's
Seafood (also from the
Faroes), Bird's Eye, Langnese, Lipton's Tea, OMO as well as other
detergents, Dove soap, and
Ben & Jerry's ice cream). DONT BUY!
- KOREA (Don't be such wimps - your vessels are poaching everywhere!)
- World Wildlife Fund (nobody trusts your diplo-words anymore!)
- IUCN / WCMC / UNEP (the smokescreen providers!)
- Greenpeace Denmark (change your support of Faroe whale killing!)
- ITALY (do not go for a pee during voting and stop bartertrading guns
for fish or other favours!
That's known - so you do not need protection from whalers!)
- SWEDEN (close your borders with Norway, whose citizen might be
contaminated by toxic
- SWITZERLAND (lots of whales in those mountains - odder?
Or are you afraid conc. the swiss bank-accounts held by Japanese
- All other Countries, who do not stop the others to kill whales!
STOP BUYING FROM THEM (goods or ideas)!
STOP ANY FUNDING deriving from taxpayers money or private support.
BOYCOTT any tourism to the listed destinations.
IMPROVE or LEAVE IWC:
- AUSTRALIA - you have not done enough to protect whales and have to
improve a lot also in
other sectors of marine conservation. Don't just think THE GAMES are
- OMAN - You are a conservationist Sultan Quabus, so why not your
representatives? - and see: The Holy Quoran: DON'T DO MISCHIEF!)
- SOLOMON ISLANDS (o.k. you got other problems this time around, but
make sure your vote -
hopefully as an authority of the indigenous people of the Solomons -
is counted next time FOR a
- Sea Sheapherd International (Let us go all and get the whalers!)
- Campaign Whale
- Greenpeace Australia
- Greenpeace Germany
- Ocean Defense International
- ECOTERRA Intl.
- Greenpeace Intl. (Your strong stand in general is appreciated, but
stop Greenpeace Denmark's nonsense)
- Humane Society
- AgA International
- The Ocean Mammal Institute
- The Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (WDCS)
- WDCS GERMANY
- PROJECT BLUE SEA
- Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA)
- U.S. Citizens Against Whaling
- Pro Wildlife Germany
- New Zealand (BRAVO: Honorables Mrs. Helen Clark and Mrs. Sandra Lee)
- Japan's Whale and Dolphin Action Network (IKAN)
- International Cetacean Education Research Centre
- International Marine Mammal Project of Earth Island
- All 15 Countries (lead by Ireland) supporting the whaling ban and the
(specifically Brazil, Argentina and India who resisted Japan (ese
The group asking Japan to stop included - led by Ireland
-representatives of the Netherlands, New
Zealand, Austria, Brazil, Britain, Finland, France, Germany, Italy,
Mexico, Monaco, Sweden, Switzerland
and the United States. Let us applaud them, but let us also not
forget so quickly Adelaide:
- Britain and the United States MUST now follow up with trade related
sanctions against the UGLY.
- Germany shows and has one of the best track records against whaling!
- German food distribution giant ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co (who cancelled
all purchase contracts from the
Faroes) More than 1,250 stores said NO!.
- All the other 20,000 retailers (REWE, EDEKA, TENGELMANN and now
KARSTADT, who cancelled
contracts with the Faroes and/or Danmark in protest against the Faroe
- The majority PEOPLE of Denmark, Sweden and Norway - but not their
governments (yet) or crazy whalers.
- International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) - but please clarify your
stand on RMS
- People for the Ethical Threatment of Animals (PETA) - but please
clarify your stand on RMS
Please click the following , WATCH, and LISTEN to
whale mother and her child's desperate plea :
WE CALL FOR ACTIVE GLOBAL DEFENCE
AGAINST ANY WHALER - AND NOW!
Visit Eco.online, http://www.eco-online.conf.au a web site created by
non-governmental organizations to cover the last IWC meeting in Adelaide
http://www.helpwhales.com explains (1) how you can send emails and
faxes to support a whale sanctuary, and (2) how you can sign a petition
for a global whale sanctuary.
Go to: http://www.stopwhalingnow.com and protest against Japan and to
to express your outrage to some, who went for Japenese money rather then
for real peoples values!
Interested to "meet" the Japanese Whalers with a "hit"?
Go to: http://www.jp-whaling-assn.com/index_eng.htm
Or to bring the "high" HIGH-NORTH-ALLIANCE down ?
Go to: http://www.highnorth.no/
ACTIONS TO TAKE TO STOP JAPANs WHALE & DOLPHIN SLAUGHTER:
Send a fax to Japan Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori:
or send him an e-mail from this website:
Fax the Embassy of Japan in Washington, DC:
US citizens: Convey your support and thanks to Rep. Bill Delahunt, for
introducing the resolution in the House of Representatives calling on
President Clinton not to support Japan's bid to gain a permanent seat on
U.N. Security Council unless it stops whaling. Urge him to add language
opposing Japan's unsustainable dolphin slaughter.
Congressman Bill Delahunt
1317 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Fax: (202) 225-5658
ECOTERRA - FIRST PEOPLES & NATURE FIRST !
SURVIVAL & FREEDOM for PEOPLE & NATURE
24 h EMERGENCY RESPONSE PHONE LINE: +254-733-633-000
Feel welcome to subscribe to any or all of our free mailing lists:
ECOTERRA Intl. keeps your Personally Identifiable Information
and does not sell, trade or exchange mailing lists with any
WILD_PEOPLES (Defending natural rights of traditional tribal peoples)
WILD_FORESTS (Protection of the natural forests)
WILD_LIFE (Protection of species of wild fauna and flora)
WILD_SKY (Protection of the atmosphere)
WILD_SEAS (Protection of the marine biosphere)
WILD_LANDS (Protection of the terrestrial and ecosystems)
WILD_WATERS (Protection of the aquatic eosystems)
WILD_ GENES (Protection against genetically modified organisms)
WILD_ROAR (ECOTERRA ALERT BULLETIN)
WILD_PRESS (hot news, features & press releases you don't get
from the mainstream media)
WILD_TIMES_NEWS - the hardcopy for people without internet access
YOUR IMPORTANT CONTRIBUTIONS TO ANY LIST AND TO WTN IS MOST WELCOME!
To subscribe or unsubscribe just send a mail to WILDNET
and please specify the the listname! Thanks!
****NOTICE: This email and any files or attachments transmitted with it
may be confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
In accordance with e.g. Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving such information for research or educational, personal and
non-commercial purposes. Whilst all attempts have been made to check the
sources and references concerning the transmitted information, the
responsibility for the accuracy of all articles rests with the
originators and readers and not with the sender as such. Sources are
given when possible. Recipients should seek permission from the source
to reprint this photocopy. If you have received this mail in error,
please contact the sender, delete the material immediately from all your
systems and do not use or disclose the information in any way. The
contents of this message may contain personal views, which may not
necessarily represent the views of ECOTERRA Intl., unless specifically
BILL CLINTON ! - FREE LEONARD PELTIER NOW ! DON'T BECOME A HENCHMAN TO
THE EXECUTIONER NOR THE VERY HANGMAN TO LEONARD PELTIER, WHO IS INNOCENT
What you always wanted to know - check it out at:
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Fri Aug 03 2001 - 15:08:08 EDT